Suspension Priming my Power Steering system

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Getting close to first start in over 20 years on this car.......
Installed a newly rebuilt ( Turn One) 03 rack, new lines, new hoses, and I rebuilt the PS pump, so its all air in it at this point....
Read about hand priming the steering system by turning the pump by hand after installing fluid...
I get nothing here, it just turns and the fluid level never goes down... 12oz of fluid is all it will take.. This is before I installed the belt. ( test fitting for correct length).
Will be jacking up the front end and turn the wheel lock to lock to see if that helps...

Any other thoughts or help on here? Thanks..
DSCF1376.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Spin the pump both ways. It will circulate fluid one way or the other.

So this how I prime one:
Fill the pump with a quality synthetic Type F fluid
Hand prime the system by turning the pump pulley by hand until you no longer have to add fluid.
Next I get a helper turn the steering wheel back and forth while I manually priming the pump. This is easier to do with the front end off the ground and the car properly supported.
Last be sure the fluid level is good in the pump, remove any steering limiters on the rack, and start the motor. Slowly go lock to lock with the steering wheel and add fluid as needed.

Motor looks really good man!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That’s how I did mine as well. Hand turn the pump with both front wheels off the ground and have a helper go side to side slowly on the steering wheel.

Add fluid slowly because at extreme lock, the fluid level in the reservior will peak out, and drop low when in center range.

I had to vacuum bleed the new system I put in my GT. I first tried all the normal tricks mentioned above but, for whatever reason, vacuum bleeding was the only thing that worked.
Did you try starting the car to bleed it?
Got 24 oz in it yesterday... spent about 30 minutes doing that....
Wondering if that is enough to start it and continue to bleed it while its running?

Last edited:
I got some fluid in it using the techniques mentioned in this thread. But once I started the car, the pump would puke out fluid instead of getting the rest of the air out of the system.

The instructions that came with my new rack and/or pump said to vacuum bleed it. I didn't at first becsuse I had never had to do that on any other steering system I had put in. All was good once I vacuum bled.

I think you would be ok starting the car now to get it finished off. Keep the front tires off the ground while trying to purge the rest of the air.

I got some fluid in it using the techniques mentioned in this thread. But once I started the car, the pump would puke out fluid instead of getting the rest of the air out of the system.

The instructions that came with my new rack and/or pump said to vacuum bleed it. I didn't at first becsuse I had never had to do that on any other steering system I had put in. All was good once I vacuum bled.

I think you would be ok starting the car now to get it finished off. Keep the front tires off the ground while trying to purge the rest of the air.
TY.. Watching some of the you tubers using a vacuum bleeder, mainly on some cooling systems.. Some fo the rear engine cars have alot of places for air to hide in them .......

When I did hand turn of wheel on mine worked like a champ. Sounds like you have some sort of air blockage somewhere. Reminds me of having to constantly prime/squeeze my kids Dodge when we changed the radiator. Just gotta get the air through the system.

Ive spent so much time on my PS system, Im simply not afraid to screw up or make a mess. Fill up the top reservoir, put the cap on and start the car. Wheels slowly side to side. Disconnect the return (into a pan), I bet that will push fluid through the system. Once you see a decent amount of fluid out the return line, stop the car.

Pffft,I replaced my PS pump,filled it with fluid and started the car. Pump was whining,turned wheels slowly lock to lock. Had to add some more fluid and it's been golden. Probably take a dump next week;)
I've done it this way probably 20 times over the years. I've never lost a pump or a rack.

Pffft,I replaced my PS pump,filled it with fluid and started the car. Pump was whining,turned wheels slowly lock to lock. Had to add some more fluid and it's been golden. Probably take a dump next week;)
I would be embarrassed to say how much money I have into my steering for my grocery getter..... Used 03 rack, rebuilt by turn one $370 plus freight, all new metal stainless lines, all new rubber lines, rebuilt the pump, $250 steering column from MM....... New tie rod ends, new mounting bushings...... Beside the 5 lug stuff......

Yes its full of air, because there is absolutely NO fluid in it....
I just thought getting SOME fluid into it before starting a bone dry set up would be a good idea......
As I said, 24oz in it... Ready for the start up with more Ps fluid ready to add.....