busted clutch Confusion

imthaman01007

Feb 26, 2010
WMass
92 2.3 t-5, went to shift yesterday and the clutch went straight to the floor with no resistance. heard a small snap, then nothing.
this is where it gets confusing
the clutch assembly I see under the dash doesn't match what Ford has for parts.
Now, a few questions...

A: If the motor/tranny came out of a Ranger, would all appropriate mechanics be the same? Or would a ranger have a different clutch construction? (im thinking it wouldnt work)
2: How easily identifiable would the clutch cable be coming out of the firewall, any pointers on telling it apart from the rest of the spaghetti-knot?

• Sponsors (?)

UPDATEUPDATEUPDATE

my GF (i think im out a Man Card) crawled under the car and found that the 2" clutch cable had snapped, with exactly one thread operating it.

easy to buy, but how easy to replace? any tips/tricks to be had?

well, i got the cable "Fixed". I used the quotes because the clutch feels odd. Before, as with most mustangs, the clutch was stiff, and now, its soft, almost like a normal clutch. One of the firewall bushings crumbled out while I was toying with the big cable, and we lost the screw holding the bracket in place. might either of those have anything to do with it? and if not, are there any ideas as to why the clutch is so smooth? It's nice, but it scares me, lol