Buying a 89' 2.3L Need lots of help

SuperDust22

The Power of Pixie Dust?!
Oct 19, 2003
Gilbert,AZ
Okay I am buying my friend's 89' (I think) Mustang 2.3L. I am getting it for $150. He is going away for two years and he just doesn't want it. I already have a 94' GT. I have pics below. The 89' will be my project. It is not in that bad of condition. I just don't where I would start. I know nothing about these years and engines. I can do all the looks and stuff. But what do I do for power. I need all the info. Do you guys swap for 5.0L or go to the turbo. What is the cheapest way? Let me know what I should do. I need all the info you guys can give me. Thanks

Dustin

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of money and power am I looking at? I need to know most of the things like that. Best places to get things. And damn 80, I am going got offer $100 now. I am going to need a lot help getting started. I can also bore/mill everything that I want if that helps any with the 2.3L.

Dustin

Often 4 bangers are great cars to start with. You know they don't have enough stock torque to bend the uni-body, most of the time they are only grocery getters. Check for rust on the floor boards, 1/4 panels if they are rust and putty free, check the radiator support frame for rust, also check around the windshield.

You can do V8 swap pretty easily however if you want EFI and whatnot you'd be best to find a junked 5.0 of the same year. But if you plan on a heavily modded fox body, go with a carb'd 351 or something. You'll eventually want to change the diff to an 8.8 and bigger brakes....

For $150 you can't loose much anyway...

Boss 351 said:
Often 4 bangers are great cars to start with. You know they don't have enough stock torque to bend the uni-body, most of the time they are only grocery getters. Check for rust on the floor boards, 1/4 panels if they are rust and putty free, check the radiator support frame for rust, also check around the windshield.

You can do V8 swap pretty easily however if you want EFI and whatnot you'd be best to find a junked 5.0 of the same year. But if you plan on a heavily modded fox body, go with a carb'd 351 or something. You'll eventually want to change the diff to an 8.8 and bigger brakes....

For $150 you can't loose much anyway...

Ya gotta go with the 2.3 turbo man. Easy call.

SuperDust22 said:
I need pricing on this stuff. What kind power is possible without a ton of money just trying to get ideas. You 1/4s are you guys running. How big of a turob can I get.

Dustin

Again, with the searching. Turbo swaps are cheap. You make about 200hp without any other mods. Search man, this stuff is all over this forum and chances are nobody is going to take the time to go over it all again.

Since you already have a v8 I say go turbo for something different.
I have a 2.3 right now but I'll be purchasing a cobra when I get out of college in the spring. The sick part is the cobra will get better gas mileage than the 2.3 does :p

JamesBaumann said:
Again, with the searching. Turbo swaps are cheap. You make about 200hp without any other mods. Search man, this stuff is all over this forum and chances are nobody is going to take the time to go over it all again.

Yeah I will start searching really hard when I get more time. I have been really busy. I have only been home 5 hours in the last 24 and most of that was sleeping. I was just looking for some quick answers. Sorry this is a pain in the ass. I just get excited. It is like an am starting all over with my car knowledge. I just know 302 pushrod engines at this point. I don't know the parts you guys like to use and the combos that work well. If someone could just list a really good cheap combo with some dyno # and track times. I would be very thankful. I just want to see what these are capital of. I really want to do the 2.3T. It sounds like fun. I just need someone to convince me.

Dustin

BTW how do the 2.3 sound?

JamesBaumann said:
Generally the 2.3 gives off a very loud, but smooth sound. It's not going to give you the nice low hum of a 302, but it sounds not so bad considering the amount of cylinders. :rolleyes:

Try this site, it has a lot of good info on it such as tech articles and what not.

www.projecthp.ford23.com

Thanks, its not too ricer sounding is it. I think a turbo would be really fun to have and work with. I love the sound of those. I wish I could read and look at the site right now but I am leaving for work. I know the info it most likely on that page but still can some copy and paste it or just tell me the parts you guys like to use and the combos that work well. If someone could just list a really good cheap combo with some dyno # and track times. Thanks. I will have alot more time this weekend to read up on things.

Dustin

It definitely doesn't sound like a ricer, mainly because it's a huge, under-developed 4 cylinder engine. This engine definitely has it's own distinct sound that can't be related to anything else. My favorite part of the sound is at ~5000rpm where the cam makes max lift (I think that's where it makes it at). You can hear this mechanical "growl" under the throaty yell of the engine that just sounds...I dunno, cool I guess. Listen to it and see for yourself.

I'll post some videos of 2.3's on my server if you want, so you can hear them.

All right that's good to hear. I have never heard a 2.3T. I know I love the sound of turbos with nice blow off valves. But guys you still haven't convinced me. What are some typical track times and dyno numbers? With your combo's. I saw that one showing how to get 400. I need some more. Post your guys combos. And I also need costs.

Dustin

Brantley's turbo Stang made 212rwhp and 319+rwtq. That's with a non-revving camshaft, valve problems, and cut back timing. I don't know costs though. He's got videos too. Check em out at his site. http://www.binaryweb.com/88lx/

You can do the swap for under $1000 easy, but i've paid a premium price because I got a rebuilt engine and all new brand-name parts (~$2500). Stingers site has a great step-by-step guide for the swap. http://projecthp.ford23.com/turboswap2.html

So is the is 2.3 engine in the car now useless. Do I have to get a whole new block, heads and everything or can I just rebuild the one I in the car? I want to make some serious power in this car. I have the money (just about). And I have a a lot of hook ups. I know a guy that will give me a smoking deal on a turbo because he owes my friend a favor. What would be the biggest/best turbo I could go with. I am looking for 375+ hp/tq. ANd some 12 timeslips. Is this possible.

Dustin

You can use the current block that you have, but not the pistons. You'll definitely need the forged versions. Make sure they are dished so that the compression is lowered. The n/a head might give it some extra compression, which you definitely don't want with a turbo.

The turbo block is basically the same as the n/a block. The only differences being outlets for oil (for the turbo), and forged pistons. The head is basically the same too, just a slightly different cam, and maybe slightly bigger combustion chambers (dunno for sure). You can use your stock block. All you'll need to do is tap the oil pan so that the turbo can get oil, and upgrade the pistons to a stronger forged version.

I've read many articles about which is the best turbo to go with on a 2.3. The most efficient one you can get is a T03/T04 50 trim .63a/r turbine. You can definitely make up to ~400hp with this turbo. However, the biggest restriction on the 2.3 engine is the cylinder head. the poorly designed D-ports really restrict air flow, and the valves are also restricted by a "lip" in the combustion chamber. You could port the crap out of these heads yourself if you want, but I would recommend Powerheads (http://www.powerheads.com/23turbo.html) because they do CNC porting of the head, as well as offer valvetrain upgrades. If you want to go the ultra-costly route, check out Esslinger Racing's D-port aluminum head (http://www.esslingeracing.com/dport/dport turbo app.htm). Be prepared to shell out $1500 for just the bare head. Of course, you'll see massive HP gains, even when compared to the fully ported stock iron head, not to mention a 30lb weight drop.

375hp and 12's should easily be attanable if you are willing to spend some $$$. To get there safely, I would start off by getting stronger connecting rods, and possibly a stronger crank (Esslinger again). Next, find the big-valve version of the iron head, and port the crap out of it. Get a cam that supports higher revs (like, say 6500-7000rpm); this engine loves the revs when built correctly, and this is something I also want to do when budget allows. Moving on, you'll need to upgrade your exhaust manifold. There are several excellent home-made products out there. Rod (on http://www.turboford.org), 40bob (http://www.40bob.com/), and Stinger (http://projecthp.ford23.com) all make excellent products, with dyno results to back them up. Rod's header made 20rwhp more on a nearly stock SVO engine, for instance. You'll also need a full 3" exhaust from the turbo elbow outlet back. Ignition would be a good upgrade to have, but I don't think it's absolutely required. Also, I would recommend checking out an engine managment upgrade as well. The SDS Speed Density system plugs right in to the stock harness, and will allow all kinds of great tweaks to all aspects of the engine. The only drawback? It's $1100. Lastly, I would look into getting the intake manifold ported, or even gutted. That way, lots of extra airflow. Plus, it'll allow you to get a much needed 65mm throttle body.

With all that stuff named, I can see getting to ~350rwhp with some tuning, and playing around. Don't forget, you'll also have to upgrade your fuel system, and you'll need some extra parts for controlling the turbo (blow off valve, boost controller, external wastegate if required, intercooler, ducting). You'll definitely want to upgrade the suspension, the brakes...oh yeah, the rear end might be too weak in the long run, as well as the stock T5. Before you know it, you'd have dumped a good $5000+ into this setup, but of course this thing will fly, get good gas mileage, and whoop on un-suspecting V8's. :D

The stock engine won't handle nitrous for too long. Of course, mr_woodster might argue otherwise :lol: . I think he was running a 100shot on it for a while, and it never blew up.

I haven't gotten my engine swap even started yet, because I haven't had the time, the money, or the motivation. I'm just so damn tired all the time from work. BUT, once I get out of this rut, i'll try to jump on getting the swap done . I'm hoping for about 220rwhp or so, once tuning and such is completed.