C4 experts, easy question

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
I figured if anyone on stangnet knows about C4s, it will be the 5.0 forum.

I seem to have a leak from the servo cover on the passanger side of my C4. Which servo is that? It is behind the hose in this picture I found online: http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/538242/fullsize/dsc_0970.jpg

Will the fix be as easy as replacing the gasket on this cover or does this indicate the servo is leaking and needs new seals? Is it possible to replace the servo seals without taking off the pan?

• Sponsors (?)

What I would do is carefully re-tighten the bolts to see if that helps.

C4s have vents that look like tiny breather caps on the top. If you over fill or the tranny just decides to burp, it will spill a little and make it seem like other areas are leaking.......ask me how I know.....:p

I've tried tightening the bolts in the past with no luck. I'm pretty sure it is the servo cover. It's been leaking a little since I put it together several years ago. I'll get under it again before doing the work, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the vent or tranny cooler lines. It would be nice to stop this drip because it drips directly on my exhaust. Ahhh, the sweet smell of burning tranny fluid.

If you ever totally seal it, you will no longer be able to call it a true C4!

The dipstick O-ring is my last culprit on my 68 Cougar....even new, when it sits it dumps fluid thu that O-ring! I just figure it's marking its territory!

Someone on my 2.3 forum suggested that I tighten the adjusting bolt for this band as I remove the servo. The adjusting bolt is on the drivers side and will help hold the band, so it doesn't pop out of place. That sounds like a good plan, because I don't much feel like dropping the valve body.

I visited my cousin today and he's got a fairly nice 67 mustang, with a C4. It leaks too. He was using a cookie sheet in the garage to collect the fluid. :rlaugh: Sounds like it is true, if it doesn't leak, it's not a C4.

That servo cover takes a gasket. But if take the cover off be careful cuz you might lose the band and that band is second gear