calling all supercharged guys(or girls)

Texstang9682

Oct 8, 2006
Austin, Texas
I have 3500 dollars to buy a blower with for my 96 GT Vert. And I will be doing so in the next week or so. So I need some advise. Right now I leaning toward the Vortech S-Trim kit ( non intercooled I cant afford it). So my car has just over 100000 miles on it and it does consume a little oil but, not that much. My goal is 400 or so HP but, I understand that will not happen right away. I have just most of the regular bolt ons currently( No PI heads which I undersand is a good thing for getting supercharged). Are there any other kits that I can get for 3500 that yall' could recommend? I do have a XCAL2 tuner and have requested a conservative tune untill I can get it properly tuned. Right know I dynoed 212.8 HP and 267.9 Torque just a few weeks ago. What kind of power can I expect? The S-Trim kit advertised 7-9 PSI.

I ask yall' guys because for the most part yall' seem pretty informed and have influenced some previous decisions of mine with good results. So advise and opinions and recommendations are very welcome. As always thanks in advance!!!!

Thanks, CLint

• Sponsors (?)

I think you will be hard pressed to find a cheaper kit than the S-trim. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Vortech kits to help you. I can't see it being a bad decision. Any blower is fun. You will have a tough time finding 400hp with the stock intake, heads, cams, though. Have fun. Hopefully someone more knowledgable about centri blow kits and prices will chime in. You won't be able to get a KB with only 3500 unfortunately.

question:

how is having lesser flowing heads ever a benefit in any situation?

other than that, itll definately liven the car up. id imagine a bit under 300 to the wheels, give or take a few. throw some better head/cam combo up there (at least PI heads with at least stage1 blower grind cams), add more fuel and boost and youre looking at a way way funnerest setup.

I think he means because of the lower compression on the NPI block with NPI heads. If he had done the headswap without changing the bottom end his compression would have been too high to see a lot of boost safely.

Yes exactly I was talking about the compression increase from switching to the PI heads. I do have the PI intake though. Another thing is about a year from now I will be getting my NPI heads ported W/ bigger valves and 7 angle radius job. There is a guy in my town (Hearld from Port Pros) that specializes in 2V 4.6 heads.
A friend of mine who has a 98 mustang gained 42 Dyno confirmed HP from getting a stage 2 (bigger undercut swirl polished valves, bowl and runner porting and 7 angle radius job from him with his NPI's) port job, very impressive IMO. I got 37 HP increase on my GT40P's. But thats:OT: . (Ive always wanted to do that:D ) Lets just say A call to him will be in my future.

Thanks for the reply guys!! Keep em' coming!!

Something that concerns me is the milage on the engine. 100k on an engine is alot. You also say that it is using oil. I am not sure if putting a blower on such an old engine is such a great idea. I am not telling you that you should'nt do it, but I would not. I would use the 3500 and put a little more with it to build a good, solid NA engine with forged internals. It will cost you less in the long run because the blower is $3500, and then when the engine goes you can add at least that much more to it??? This is just some food for thought.

Dale in San Antonio

Something that concerns me is the milage on the engine. 100k on an engine is alot. You also say that it is using oil. I am not sure if putting a blower on such an old engine is such a great idea. I am not telling you that you should'nt do it, but I would not. I would use the 3500 and put a little more with it to build a good, solid NA engine with forged internals. It will cost you less in the long run because the blower is $3500, and then when the engine goes you can add at least that much more to it??? This is just some food for thought.

Dale in San Antonio

Well, one thing about that is if the engine fails it fails ya know? You can look at that as a bad thing but, Though I'd prefer that it doesn't happen if it does thats just reason enough to get a low compression stroker worked into the finances. The car's gotta run right?:D I'm pretty much hell bent on getting a blower. I've wanted one for as long as I can remember. Engines breaks every day. Lets just hope the car gods shine longevity on mine:)

i went with a novi 2000 on my 96, its all stock motorwise, just bolt ons really. It was making 330hp with an sn2000 at 11psi and ive not had the novi tuned yet but it should run about 14psi.

I went with the 2000 for futureproofing. When i ge a new shortblock and heads I can pulley the blower and make 25-30psi if i want to. REalistically I guess 20psi is enough but its good to have the capacity there if you want more. Plus i know that the novi 2000 is really efficient and so uses less engine power to turn.

Im not sure on the fitment of the vortech but the novi was a complete sum-b1tch to fit... make sure your car has had the radiator and fan shroud recal otherwise you'll need to cut the shroud, rad top mount and bracket to make the intake pipe fit. Again, that's on the novi so Im not sure if the vortech is smaller ??

I actually took the car out for a test run last night to make sure it was all buttoned up properly.... its awesome !!!!

If your on a budget and don't mind waiting, I suggest cruising the classifieds on several sites. I have a list of my favorites if your interested. I found a 1.7L KB, locally even, that I bought for 3K. Best thing I've done to my car ever.

Waiting..... I don't know man, you know how it is when your modding your mustang. But, that would be cool to get a KB for 3g. I figure that I have about 2 weeks before the money reaches my hot little hand. Though it's kinda hard to find the S-trim kit for the 96 mustang. Everyone just has the 99-04 kits used. Where would be a good place to look? Would ebay be a trustworthy posibility?