Cam Decisions

MacTwpStangs

May 5, 2007
I'm going to do a cam real soon here and I need some advice. I Have a 94 AODE with Shortie headers, non-catted header back 2 1/2". CAI, Pulleys, 70mm Throttle Body, and thats it. I'm also gonna do a Pete Jackson Gear Driven Timing replacement at the time of Cam. I JUST NEED SOME ADVICE ON WHAT OTHERS HAVE DONE. I'm not totally positive about lift ratios and whatever else. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I say keep saving your money 'till you can get a complete HCI setup, that way the camshaft will be doing the most good. Otherwise, the Steeda 19 cam was designed for our ECU's so you could get away with running that with the least hassle.

A cam can be a nightmare with an AODE if you plan to keep it stock.

In a nutshell .......
You stand a chance of a very soft or even dead low end :(

Be sure to focus your research on those folk with auto persuasions ;)
and
Get their input for how things turned out with their combo :)

I also would advise you to do heads and intake with the cam install :nice:

Now ... About that cam drive :D

I've heard they make a good bit of noise :crazy:
NO ... CHECK THAT :nono:
I've heard they make a L O T of noise :rlaugh:

Grady

Now ... About that cam drive :D

I've heard they make a good bit of noise :crazy:
NO ... CHECK THAT :nono:
I've heard they make a L O T of noise :rlaugh:

Grady

Yes. I put one on a number of years ago and took it off after a short time. I couldn't take the noise any more. Went back to double roller chain.

BTW - You will have to machine the oil dripper off of the back of the front engine cover to use the gears.

BTW2 - I'll sell you my gear set if you're interested. They're like new.

Work on the transmission first. Shift Kit, bigger pan, cooler, and a high stall speed converter along with some gears. 3.73s or 4.10s.

I planned on that also I know a shift kit and gears, but need to read up on the Converter a lil. Thanks though. I know I need to work on the trans before the cam. I live in MI so most of my work will be done in the winter. I just am planning ahead so I buy the parts now instead of spending money on other useless ****. I also do plan on doing the intake at time of cam. Just not posiotive on what on,,, thinkin Edlebrock Perf. ...heads I can't afford currently so thats that. And how loud are the quiet gear drives??? I know the loud ones whine a lot but never heard the quiet one???