cam numbers

00GTpony

Mar 10, 2007
Over the winter break iam going to be doing cams in my car.. Im not sure which cam yet, dont want anythin huge, but i want something with a nice sounding idle... Anyway, what numbers hp wise would i be looking at to the wheels.. also what does the car have a potential of running in 1/4 mile with the mods i have?

• Sponsors (?)

I picked up 15rwhp, and 15rwtq with cams, with no tune. How that equates to the track, I dont know. I just got done reading a thread on VT stage 1's. Bill putnam, the fastest bolt on GT to date (11.97), gained zero shifting normal with vt stage 1 cams, even though he gained 20rwhp on the dyno.(dyno queens arent always the fastest cars) He then spun the motor to 6500k and gained 3 tenths bc the powerband had dramactically shifted with stage 1's

Ive also read threads where people claim to gain .5 seconds with just cams. For me, thats hard to believe. Eitherway, with any cam, always get valve springs, even if they are not reccommended. Ive been on the other side of a trashed motor with nice ported PI heads, valves, and cams, because of valvetrain failure. Better be safe than sorry. The 270's from comp have a nice idle, as well as many others.

honestly if stage I cams are too much for you (and VT cams are known for maintaining low end tq better than most) than you're still in 5.0 fox body mode. Cars are supposed to keep making power until redline, not run out of breath.