Cam Question for stock Motor.

89RedFoxGT

Nov 2, 2006
jackson, TN
I'm looking to buy a cam kit for my 90 5.0 real soon, I just want one thats kinda lumpy but not to lumpy but just sounds good. the mtor is stock other than BBK EQ LT headers and K&N CAI. whats would be a fairly cheap lumpy cam for it that wont mess up the motor?

thanks alot!!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah a cam swap on a stock motor is pointless, hell stock cams have been known to go very fast on even motors with full exhaust, intakes, gears, and ported heads, even power adders...the stock cam is weak, but not as weak as you might think.

If you havent done any head work, don't change the cam, just change the rockers at most IMO.

1.7s wont change the sound of the car. all the rockers add is a tad more lift. which in turns opens the valve a little faster, since the valve is having to open to a higher lift in the same duration. duration is the biggest factor in the lopey sound of a cam. so 1.7s wont give u the lope u desire.

back on cams. I wouldnt really advise tearing it all down JUST to swap in a cam mainly for the sound.

if u happen to blow the engine or something goes wrong and u have to pull it for repair or rebuild then i would definatly take the oppurtunity and throw a cam in there, because if you plan to modify or change out the heads and intake then it will save you lots of time then.

but if your deadset on getting that sound lol i would toss in a E or B cam, both are cheap as pie and sound great! u should notice a small gain in performance, will lose low end for sure but should gain a little more oomph up top but u will feel a sudden choke above 5k since untouched stock heads and intake dont flow best with aftermarket cams. You wont really feel what the cam has to offer until you do some work on the heads and intake then you will feel the difference.

my bud had an engine rebuilt he was short on funds at the time and DID plan to modify the engine later on. So he put a cam in, around the size of the B-cam i think. but still had stock heads and intake. the car sounded mean, and ran pretty nice. Once funds came in then he got some ported GT40P heads and ported explorer intake and thats when the car became a demon. it ran real good.

b303 W 1.7s 224 224 510 510

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1302239057

( Notice the idle is @ about 1100rpms. It sounds way lopier @ 750-800)

And if your going to upgrade Man/Heads then you want the 1.7's to push you powerband up a little.
With the typhoon it really comes alive for the second time around 4000 and doesnt let off until around 5500.
Thats only because the stock heads a bottle neckin it.

I would do the heads with it. If you cant afford both get the heads first. Putting a cam in a stock headed 5.0 is a total waste. (the heads dont breathe) I have 1.7 RR's on with the stock cam and Thumper Heads. Theres no real sound difference.Just more power up top.

Seriously, stock cam is good for 12 second cars and quicker, it was actually fairly aggressive for its day....

If you absolutely have to have that sound, go eith maybe....an E-303 to keep the powerband reasonably matched....or if you can find a cam with similar specs on a 112-114 LSA, but with added exhaust lift and duration to compensate for the weak heads, you'd be okay.

If I were gonna go blower I would just do a JY turbo setup. I dont wanna 10sec car just a fairly quick and badass sounding car. I'll just hold out and get the b303 cam ported lower intake gt40 heads RRs and a few other bolt ons and do it all at once instead of taring it down and putting one thing on at a time. What would be a pretty cheap and pretty stout set up as far as heads intake cam and other small stuff? I dont wanna be pulling out the motor just pretty much bolt ons...

I'd still rather see you run an E cam than a B on a streetable setup....B is lumpier and the powerband is pushed higher. And if youre running an AOD, you can get away with a stock converter with an E cam....with the B, forget about it you're going to need a stall converter for it to drive okay.

its a Manuel, How do I tell what gears my car has in it? I'm just trying to learn all I can about these cars, I'm new to the stang world! I'm going to do a few other things to it before I go to modding up the motor like subframe connectors, shifter and just cleaing up the interior, wheels/tires cowl hood etc.

fyi, today I JUST got my combo fully going with the gt40p heads/intake and stock HO cam. I didn't believe it at first, but that stock HO cam holds it's own even with better intake and heads!

your 89 likely has 2.73 gears in it, at the most 3.27's. I believe you can jack her up, turn the rear wheels one revolution and count how many times the driveshaft turns, and that's your ratio. Better yet, the rear end "should" have a tag on it that says what's in it, it'll have #'s and letters, but within the first few digits, you'll see a 2 and 73 or 3 and 27 possibly with some letters between it.

another way of telling, my mustang with the stock gears did about 75-80 mph at about 2000 rpms. If that's where you're sitting, you've got stock gears. with 3.73's I now do about 65mph at 2k.

I don't know guys i'm going to have to disagree with most of you. I think a cam swap is a good idea. I would phone comp cams and ask them what cam for an otherwise stock engine would be good. The fact of the matter is The factory never squeaks all the hp out of a factory engine with the cam they put in them. I'm sure you could make quite a few more ponies with a cam swap. A cam and intake swap would be my suggestion.