Camber Adjustment

Metalli485

Nov 10, 1998
Plano, TX
I have a 2000 GT and the camber is off so badly on the front drivers side tire that its making a bald spot on the outer portion of the tire. My entire car is 100% stock so I haven't messed with any suspension stuff. I called NTB to see if they could fix it and the guy claimed that for a 2000 stang the camber can't be adjusted without adding camber adjustment plates (which is a bit pricey for just a small adjustment). I called another NTB store and the guy said they could adjust it no problem :bang:. Does anyone know if the camber can be adjusted without buying adjustable plates? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You sure it's camber and not toe-in that needs adjustment? And you said .."a bald spot..." Is it just one spot on the outside of the tire or is it wearing the tread around the whole outside of the tire? A single bald spot would indicate something else is wrong.

Camber and toe can be adjusted, caster can not be adjusted on the stock suspension. The factory rivets the strut plate in place once the camber is set at the factory. To adjust, those rivets need to be drilled out.

There isn't much adjustment in the stock strut plate. When people want to get more camber dialed in for racing applications they use aftermarket c/c plates to increase the adjustment.

Find a reputable alignment shop, who knows what their doing, and they'll take care of you.

Has this thing been wrecked? I can't imagine any other reason for the bad camber (except for lowering, but you say the suspension is stock...)
The OEM plates are riveted in place, so there's not much adjustment, but you can simply drill the rivets out to allow more movement.
CC plates are not real cheap, agreed, (and don't skimp and buy cheap ones...remember, these are the wheels that point you where you're going!) but you can benefit with better, more agressive turn in angle, etc.
In your first sentence, you state "the camber is off so badly" but later, talking about CC Plates, you say they are "pricey for just a small adjustment". Is it a 'small adjustment' or 'badly off'?

If the bald spot you speak of is all around the inside of the tire it could either be bad camber (ball joint) or bad toe-in (tie rod). I would check these before you have your alignment done as they will have to do it again after said component(s) get replaced.
It is true that camber/caster plates are expensive-ish, but they are completely unnecessary with a stock suspension. The only real benefit you get from them is when you change the front suspension geometry by lowering it.

Well it turns out that the toe-in adjustment was causing the problem. I've got the problem taken care of and I just got a new set of Goodyear GS-D3s :D . The new tires are a world of difference over my worn ES100s.