Can anyone's engine bay get any worse than mine?

nice show and tell... it it suggested to do with engine running and hot or not?

still scared to put water or chems anywhere near the plugs on these....

I wouldn't. I like to start with an engine that's been off for about an hour so it is still warm but not hot enough to dry right away. When I wash the stang's engine, I'm very careful with where the stream of water is directed. Toothbrushes, long handle wheel brushes, and lots of degreaser will make a big difference. You can dress it with tire shine too. Some people have used aluminum foil on the electrical connections, but I never have and haven't had an issue with electronics getting wet.

• Sponsors (?)

I like to get the engine hot when i pressure wash mine. I leave it running and pressure wash it. then hit it with degreaser on the tough spots and then pressure wash again to rinse. all while the engine is running and hot. Then I leave the hood up, turn the key off and let sit for at least 30 minutes. The heat from the engine will help evaporate the water that remains so it doesnt work its way down between the plugs and wires (or coil boots). I've done it that way for 10 plus years and never had a problem. I don't bother detailing mine with that shiny stuff like the pics above because I don't like having my hands get slimmed when I have to work on the car the next time. just my preference.

I like to get the engine hot when i pressure wash mine. I leave it running and pressure wash it. then hit it with degreaser on the tough spots and then pressure wash again to rinse. all while the engine is running and hot. Then I leave the hood up, turn the key off and let sit for at least 30 minutes. The heat from the engine will help evaporate the water that remains so it doesnt work its way down between the plugs and wires (or coil boots). I've done it that way for 10 plus years and never had a problem. I don't bother detailing mine with that shiny stuff like the pics above because I don't like having my hands get slimmed when I have to work on the car the next time. just my preference.

If you use the right products you won't get your hands slimy. 303 works really well for this, also Meguiars Hyper-dressing is water based and doesn't leave a greasy feeling but still shines quite well.

I avoid using a pressure washer under the hood if at all possible. Sometimes I'll use it to hit the side of the engine or the frame, but never on top of the engine. Pressure washers + modern engines don't mix IMO. Too much potential for electronics to get wet especially when the water is being shot forcefully.

WOW thats N.A.S.T.Y!I wash my enigne in my DD stang and my other one as well as my GF truck every other time i wash the outside.Never any problems with water causeing me starting or running issues.Although i havent done my DD latly as for i broke the timming cover trying to show my buddy that the belt was right there and easy to change.peace

john:p