can I mod this '87-'89 speedo cluster to fit my '92?

Asha'man

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Denver
Hit up the JY yesterday and found a wrecked '87-'89 GT with a FMS 160 mph cluster in it. Yanked it for cheap. I'd love to put it into my '92, but it's an airbag car and the GT wasn't. I've read that the cluster can be modded, but never paid attention before (wasn't relevant before) and searching didn't turn anything up. I just want the speedo part of it, the tach and lights would be off anyway (V8 to 2.3). Anyone done this?

Ash

• Sponsors (?)

Your best bet might be to call Ford Racing since they no longer produce the 160 speedo and ask them if it fits 87-89 or 87-93. There # is (586) 468-1356. Personally I've taken the 90-93 140 cluster and changed the speedo part into my wife's 87. I'd imagine it would be the same on principle but I can't say definitely.

Just called 'em, the guy had no clue. :rolleyes: When you swapped your airbag 140 into your wife's non-airbag car, do you remember if the speedometers themselves looked the same? Square, I mean?

Your car sounds sweet, btw, got pics?

Ash

Asha'man said:
Just called 'em, the guy had no clue. :rolleyes: When you swapped your airbag 140 into your wife's non-airbag car, do you remember if the speedometers themselves looked the same? Square, I mean?

Your car sounds sweet, btw, got pics?

Ash
When you say "square" I assume you're referring to the black portion that is the gauge itself? If that's the case, then yes, they were the same. I did a tiny bit of trimming on the outside edge to get it to fit perfectly, but nothing drastic. Thanks on the car too. Unforunately, I can't post pics. Perhaps Santa is listening though......

i put the 140 in my 87 cluster and its simple. all you do is take the spedo part out of the 160mph and the speedo part out of your cluster and drop the 160 in yours. its pretty straightforward. youll have to trim the black overlay part a litl bit but its very simple.

good luck with it