Can I use E7 springs on my GT40-P?

cmclean

Founding Member
Dec 18, 2000
Houston, TX
Well, it might be a stupid question. But I'm assembling a shortblock, and just bought a bare set of GT40-P heads for $150. I have a set of E7's off a 1994 5.0 with about 40,000 miles on them. Can I use the springs from the E7's and put them on the GT40-P?

I'm going to run a E303 cam with 1.6 rockers.

I know I need new intake valves, so I'll probably just buy a set of Ferrea or REV 1.84/1.55 valves. Or should I just cough up the 99.95 and buy a set of Ford Racing GT40 springs?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know why you would want to. That is a lot of work to not swap valvetrain parts. If you have anything bigger than a stock cam, new parts are critical. I had regular gt-40 heads and I though the parts would be good enough for an e cam... but a lock sheared and dropped the #8 intake valve into my cylinder. In my opinion get a good valvetrain kit. It comes with all the stuff you need and it is a little over a hundred bucks.. Good luck.

You can replace the springs for under 200...or replace a few valves and whatever else breaks when the thing lets go. Valve springs are way overlooked. They really wake a motor up. They help valvetrain geometry stay healthy. Everything is opening and closing when its supposed to. I noticed a big difference in revving capabilities after i installed The 44308-1 CRANE kit on my gt-40s.