Can't decide . . . fix intake or get a new one TFS TH or Typhoon??

Zero Signal

Feb 24, 2003
Tucson, AZ
So I busts the corner of my Explorer upper when I put it on since I was retarded and didn't think about the 3/8" spacer compressing. As a temporary fix, I goo'd a crap load of RTV in there. It still leaks and I think the lower is leaking too.

So what do you guys think. Should I fix it, buy a new Cobra/Explorer/GT40 upper OR buy a new intake all together :shrug: I can affords a new one BUT I'm undecided as to which one would be best for my setup and money.

I really like the TFS Track Heat but the Typhoon with the elbow + 70mm TB for $485 combo deal sounds really nice right now. I have all the porting equipment so cleaning up the Typhoon's casting is a non-issue for me. I just can't make up my MIND.

My combo is in my sig. My cam isn't a super high rpm cam, but the heads flow pretty well and the power doesn't fall off untill after 6000 rpm even with the Explorer on there. So I was thinking the Typhoon would be alright with it's short runners.

Here is where I cracked it. Could that be TIG welded?
View attachment 483247

I'm sure some of you can help me decide :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

i think a new upper cobra/explorer/gt40 shouldn't be too hard to find used, and its probably the best bet....but it you were to go new, i'd say the trick flow is a better intake....even taking into concideration you could clean up the typhoon, the professional products tb's have been know to have some serious problems....its not worth the money....

one thing i keep meaning to ask you is about your heads....since i dont know a whole lot about what flow numbers mean (just vaguely) what are your ported gt40's comparable to?

They are comparable to the Edelbrock Performers but slightly weaker on the exhuast side by about 15-20 CFM IIRC at the highest lift due to some early boundry layer separation.

How much do you guys think someone might charge me to fix that upper?

Dude I was torqing it by hand with a 3/8" ratchet. I was at maybe 15ft-lbs. The 3/8" spacer just compressed enough to cause too much stress in the plenum.

nmcgrawj - Yes I did the port work myself. It's pretty easy with cartridge rolls (standard abrasives kit from Summit) and a die grinder or flex-shaft grinder which I use. There's too much to write about in a post, it would make for a good thread though. On the intake, I didn't do a full port job like Tmoss does . I wanted to avoid having to weld it.

Zero Signal said:
Dude I was torqing it by hand with a 3/8" ratchet. I was at maybe 15ft-lbs. The 3/8" spacer just compressed enough to cause too much stress in the plenum.

nmcgrawj - Yes I did the port work myself. It's pretty easy with cartridge rolls (standard abrasives kit from Summit) and a die grinder or flex-shaft grinder which I use. There's too much to write about in a post, it would make for a good thread though. On the intake, I didn't do a full port job like Tmoss does . I wanted to avoid having to weld it.

So do u think u made a noticeable difference? Maybe i will start a seperate thread with guys who have done home porting to come in with tips and tricks.