cant decide which throttlebody to go with

im trying to decide whether to use my old throttle body and a adapter elbow on my gt40 intake. or to just go with a fox style throttle body. ive actualy found a fox style tb and egr spacer for $50. i have everything else needed off of some random intake i had laying around, including a fox style wire harness. so it would be a easy swap and i wouldnt have to buy anything but the TB and egr spacer. or i could just buy the adapter elbow for around the same amount. the only real advantage that i know of with the fox style TB is my cold air hooks up to it without having to modify it. are there any disadvantages? or advantages ive missed?

• Sponsors (?)

Some say the FOX style TB is better for idle and throttle response. I wouldn't know I ran the SN style on my 94. You could always trim your cold air to fit the SN95 style. You will need the FOX throttle cable among the other items you mentioned. Seem like a hassle to me. I'd cut the cold air to fit your current set up but that's me.

im leaning towards the fox, if theres no down sides. only because other than a throttle cable i have everything already. i have to either buy a throttle body and spacer, or a elbow adapter. and its actualy a bit more for the elbow adapter. i dont know that i see the hassle though, not trying to argue. just wondering if you seeing something ive missed?

The fox body throttle body has a tendancy to jamb by design, and when the cable gets old, it has a tendancy to fall off. It does give you better valve cover clearance though. You'll also need a fox style egr if you using one.

kurt

Thank you I didnt know that about the jamming. the cable I picked up is not brand new but fairly new and seems in good shape. I have the EGR for the fox at home. I think Im going to go with the fox, I can always buy a adapter later if i dont like it.

I had to run a spacer on the side of my intake to push the TB out more so that it would clear the fuel rails on my fox TB set up, other then that its been great and I like it a lot more, much more cleaner look and I do think there is a better throttle response. I have a brand new cable on it so it should be good for a long time

If you have a new cable and good quality throttle body it probably won't be an issue. That was the part I hated about the 2 foxbodies I owned, the damn cheap throttle body design. That was probably the biggest design improvement I saw in the SN.

Kurt

I might go ahead and buy a brand new throttle cable. should I get any particular throttle body i should look for to avoid the issues you had. and should I get a spacer or will the EGR spacer do the trick to clear the full rails?

the EGR spacer will push you out far enough to clear the rails, Forgot to mention I have no EGR on mine. Pretty much everyone that does the fox swap uses Accufab, thats the main reason we do switch just so we can use those TB. There are other companies out there but avoid the chepo ones

Accufabs are the best, but very pricey. Steer clear of the Chinese ones, like Professional Products. I've had every brand except Accufab, and they all have the jamming problem. It's inherent with the original Ford design. I think all the quality American made ones will work about the same; BBK, Edelbrock, Trick Flow, etc. A lot of people go crazy about the Accufab because diameter for diameter it outflows the competitors. The honest truth is that if it is sized appropriately, then the throttle body is not a restriction anyway. My BBK 70mm flows plenty for my 450hp engine. I would definately buy a new throttle cable. That stupid clip that grabs the the throttle linkage wears out over time, and because a nusiance when it falls off.

Kurt

thnx for all the tips fellas. should be ordering the parts monday.

One more question. Are the stock sn95 throttle body and the stock fox style throttle body the same size? or is the stock fox smaller? I have a throttle body and egr spacer at the house that came on as intake a buddy gave me, but the throttle body looks awefull small.

I would be leery of $50 TB and spacer deals. Been there... That was money down the drain for a TB that didn't work for the LAST dude that owned it.

For me anymore, it's Accufab for nothing. I'm getting ready to go to an 80 mm in the near future here and I'll be going with another Accufab.

That's not to say that there aren't other TBs out there that are good. I know lots of folks who have run Edel, BBK, and couple others and they work flawlessly. In my case, I've never had to return an Accufab so I stick with those. You couldn't pay me to run a PP... particularly a used one.

I run a BBK 70mm and its not bad. I'm not too keen on some of their other products (the cold air is a pos!) but the TB seems to be alright. I'd probably do an accufab if I was to do an 80mm later.