Can't get over my V8 envy.

merlinsteele

Nov 21, 2004
Oklahoma
Sorry for the silly title, but not sure how else to put it. I haven't bought yet, and frequently torment the salesmen at the dealerships, particularly the one closest to my house. Well, I don't intentionally torment them, but I do visit them often.

Anyway, a good example of what I'm talking about happened last night. Went by the dealership, and with a lot of the cars there is a Vista Blue 06 V6, a color that I like. I've been dreaming of a GT, but don't think I really need it. I drove the car (again, I've driven a few) and with the standard, it had plenty of pep for this old fart. It's pretty much a stripped down model, and they've changed the wheels from the cheapo looking hubcaps to the 16 inch wheels with the spinners, not my favorite, but it's a step up.

The lowest price I've seen on the ford site you can get is $19,8 or something like this. They offered it to me for $18,8. $1000 cheaper the color is nice. It has no spoiler on it or stripes. Bonus on that is I could fix it up like I want it.

Downside is, I don't know why I don't just get it. (It's not a GT, probably) Yeah, I'd like to have at least power seats, but that seems petty and trivial if thats the only thing I'm griping about. I keep looking and stalling, trying to save more money for a better downpayment, which I know is smart, but I'm getting so impatient! I don't want a $500 car payment, especially when I know the insurance on a GT won't be low. Anyway, sorry for the long story. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

INSURANCE ON THE 05 GT IS CHEAP!! check into it, you will be suprised!! many people ahve posted that the difference in insurance between the V6/GT was only a few bucks a month. my full coverage with $500 ded. is only $100/mo and i am under 25!!!

No envy here. Im happy with my V6 and happy that i saved over 10k over the cost of a GT.

Ive had plenty of high hp V8s, how much hp do you need to get to and from work? Thats most of your driving right?

The only thing I would have done different, is I would have bought the vert. Ive had verts before and I love them. Had I seen a redfire vert, I would be driving that instead of a redfire coupe. I may trade up to the vert anyway.

It would be a good excuse to move to the Southwest.

Thanks for the replies, they mean a lot.

Ernad, this is funny. Was listening to Yahoo Music and after reading your post, the song came on, "Listen to your Heart" by Roxette. Now how's THAT for strange! But what you say is right...I probably should just wait for the V8. It's tough.

Bigcat, thanks for the info, I hadn't heard that the difference in insurance cost was minimal. I'll def check into it.

TheFang, I probably should be more concerned with gas mileage than I am, but I've driven a Ford F-150 for years, and I don't mess around when I drive, so I'm used to the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to mileage. On the power seats, I can handle the manual seat controls, but it's not as comforable to me, because I'm short and it seems like there is just a little more freedom of adjustment to the power seats. Manual, it's just strictly up and down, back and forth. Isn't there an extra adjustment to power seats, the reclining, not of the back, but the seat itself?

TwoFocused, good point on how much horsepower a person needs. That's what I'm trying to tell myself, but I'm just worried about.....something. I guess it's that after-sale feeling that I might hit myself in the head and say, Dang, I coulda had a V8! lol

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm still fighting the battles in my head about what to do, but perhaps checking on the insurance would be the smart thing to do, and if it's a very small difference, I should probably hold out for a lower priced GT (if I can get lucky).

Merlin,

All the fellas have great points. You should also factor in how long you will actually keep the vehicle.

I tend to roll these Stangs about every year or two. So, I tend to shop for them like most gals do sweaters. hahahaha... Get what you want and will suit you for the period of time you will keep the car.

Either way, an 05 in either engine platform is better than none at all!!!

Happy Holidays Fellas! :)

Jenn

When I buy a car, especially one that I am making payments on, I like to make sure that it is EXACTLY how I wanted it. Nothing's worse than looking in the driveway regretting something, then when you have to throw down 350 a month for a car payment on top of that, its frustrating.

stanmckinney said:
Insurance on a GT is cheap and even for those under age 25? Is that from a REAL insurance agent?
I'm been around too long and owned too many Mustangs to believe that.
its a true story!! STATE FARM!!!! haven't you heard the reports going around that the new mustang is cheaper to insure? check out my thread cool collision information it even says ford designed the new mustang for repairabilty. this cuts labor and some parts costs, so the insurance company will not have to shell out so much money to fix it!! if you are paying too much, shop around. i DID NOT shop around at all. i have had State Farm since day one, and the same agent too!! i have never had a problem with them. heres the link to the cool collision information thread....

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=601617

All I can say is nothing is more fun than the power of the V-8. Leaving most everybody at a toll booth or stop light at half throttle of course the tuner and 4:10 gears also adds to the fun. I know I would have regreted not getting the GT.

$10K diff between v6 and v8? I'm assuming you're factoring ADM in there. My GT was $26,750.

Merlin, if you're even asking yourself the question, get the GT. The fun factor is obviously important to you, and whereas the v6 may well be fun, the v8 is more so.

As far as "how much power do you need to get to work" goes, well, if that's a key, even the v6 is overkill as a commuter, so I'd recommend a Civic:D

There's nothing wrong with the 6's, but I get the impression you may regret not going for the GT. I just got back from the driving range (hitting it well!) and had nice looking v6 pull up next to me and we gunned it at two lights - I let him go first both times, to see if he was going to stomp it, and he did - I reeled him in and was well gone with enough time to ease off just before hitting 60.

celticstanger said:
$10K diff between v6 and v8? I'm assuming you're factoring ADM in there. My GT was $26,750.

Merlin, if you're even asking yourself the question, get the GT. The fun factor is obviously important to you, and whereas the v6 may well be fun, the v8 is more so.

As far as "how much power do you need to get to work" goes, well, if that's a key, even the v6 is overkill as a commuter, so I'd recommend a Civic:D

There's nothing wrong with the 6's, but I get the impression you may regret not going for the GT. I just got back from the driving range (hitting it well!) and had nice looking v6 pull up next to me and we gunned it at two lights - I let him go first both times, to see if he was going to stomp it, and he did - I reeled him in and was well gone with enough time to ease off just before hitting 60.

Without dealer mark-up, the difference is only abot 5K. Thought long and hard about whether or not to get the GT or V6. Lost sleep over it. Lots of good points from everyone here, and no real V6 bashing. I love my V6, and would have loved the GT also.

I am sinking money into my V6 (performance/appearance mods) but would have done the same to the GT as well. I thought I MIGHT have been able to go GT and stay stock, but that would have been impossible for me. However, Merlin, if you think that the GT will satisfy your power needs stock and you want to keep your whole warranty intact, go for it! You WILL want to mod your V6, so that 5K difference WILL disappear... However, after my $5k of mods, I WILL be able to take a stock GT or at least make it a battle of the drivers...

Celtic, your GT would have beat a stock GT, though not by as wide a margin! Nice list of mods, by the way! What is your RWTQ?