Cap & Rotor, Dist, Coil questions...

91LX_5L

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
British Columbia
I know I need a new cap & rotor. Lots of people say MSD is garbage but I usually go for the MSD Cap/Rotor...I know cap and rotor isnt much but what do you guys reccomend?

Coil...how long do they usually last? mine is stock...again what do you reccomend?

I saw this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-9...004QQitemZ140157630893QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Again same thing, how long do the dist's last? Any way to test to see if mine needs replacement?

THANKS!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

That one in the link isn't for your EFI car.

For the cap, I just get a brass terminal'd version from the parts house. I go by feel on replacing them and how carbon-tracked the contacts are (I clean mine periodically, but after a while I figure enough). The rotor usually shows wear (the edge degrades) first.

On the 94-95's, the PIP tends to crap out. Most folks use reman'd units, which are hit or miss since they might not have a new PIP. I'd rather install a new, decent quality PIP.

Good luck Matt.

You're right - the PIP is the 'stator' inside the bowl of the dizzy. Relatively speaking, it is a pain to change. Remove the pin, then the gear (a bearing splitter with bosses for a puller work well together). Then pull it apart and replace. It can be hard to get the holes to line back up (to insert a new pin). That's probably the hardest part.

hurmm sounds like a PITA any way to test it? see im not missfiring at higher rpms or really misfiring at all really? id rather just replace the entire dizzy at once instead of parts here and parts there, i know it will go in the future and I dont plan on selling my car.

Matt, no decent way to test it until it starts to really fail.

Hmm, I had to settle for Brownstreak parts. They look like...........

A cap and rotor is basic - just about anything should do well.