car alarm problem

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
i have a 1992 mustang and the siren comes in and out it works sometimes and doesnt anyone know what would make this happen???? how can i fix this??? i dont know much about alarms so i dont know what to do but if someone tells me what to do i can fix it i just dont know whats wrong do i need a new siren box? a new wire to it? anyone know? thanks for reading

• Sponsors (?)

pls be more specific. i take it this is an aftermarket alarm, but what brand, if you know? how does the siren "come in and out?" while the siren is goin off (like when the alarm is set off) it cuts in and out. or does it not work sometimes (like it doesnt do the arm and disarm chirps)?

give more info please.

thanks for your reply well what happends is sometimes the siren works and sometimes it doesnt it just picks days to work. by this i mean when ever i turn my alarm on and off the siren makes a noise but sometimes doesnt and when it doesnt make noise and i make the alarm go off all that happends is my lights flash but no noise from the siren. but sometimes it will work it just stops working for some reason. its aftermarket one and i dont know name it came with car when i bought it.

get it to not work and check it out. could be something as simple as a bad ground on the siren (should be barried under the hood somewhere). the wire from the brain to the siren is often brown. this wire connects to the red siren wire. a red/blk wire should be ground (these colors are common, but not always the case). the brown wire should show constant 12 volts when the alarm is set off. also check the siren (hook up an extra if you have one. they are cheap).
if the wires at the siren check out, then i actually agree with Pro. even when you know what you are doing, alarm troubleshooting can be daunting. find a shop you trust that will give you a free or cheap estimate.

and for what its worth, i do installs here and there so im no expert by any slight means, but if faced with a faulty brain and no warranty, i would get something new rather than even mess with the old alarm. the technology moves too fast. get yourself a nice lcd two way alarm-keyless entry-remote starter. DEI products are always highly regarded. (watch the ebay stuff. ahem, some of it is poo).

let us know what else you find out. good luck.