Car backfires when shifting.

gt-351

Oct 25, 2004
va
The car backfires when I powershift or speed shift at high rpm. I have played alittle with fp & timing. I have made no changes sence the car was tuned. I run mac exhaust with a prochamber dumped 2 1/2".

• Sponsors (?)

do you mean a backfire or some exhaust crackling? Because if you are backfiring, you have a timing problem, or maybe an a/f ratio problem...

Try cleaning your maf and IAT sensor and see what happens.....

And stop powershifting, what the heck is wrong with you? Do you want a blown transmission???? T-5's don't take much abuse.....sorry, just my opinion on the matter.
Scott

Just making sure the IAT sensor is screwed into my cold air intake right? That was cleaned & the mass air meter. Ith IAT was pretty dirty. Hard to tell on the mass air. I cleaned both with a q-tip.

gt-351 said:
Just making sure the IAT sensor is screwed into my cold air intake right? That was cleaned & the mass air meter. Ith IAT was pretty dirty. Hard to tell on the mass air. I cleaned both with a q-tip.

Yea IAT is threaded into the intake pipe (cold air kit). Make sure it's indexed to where the actual sensor is broadside to the incoming air.

You guys are confusing what the IAT is. Scott isn't talking about the ACT which is what is screwed into the pipe.

I got a mean backfire the other day while shifting at 4k while the motor was in startup mode. Scott. . . Once we get our stuff going, we definitely need that PLX unit!

Zero Signal said:
You guys are confusing what the IAT is. Scott isn't talking about the ACT which is what is screwed into the pipe.
Huh? John, It seemed to me that he did mean the IAT (Intake Air Temp sensor - I dont know what else the acronym can mean). ACT does = IAT.

Zero Signal said:

Then what is he talking about? Like JT said, IAT = ACT, same thing. :shrug: I hope you're not confusing it with the IAC, which would have nothing to do with his backfiring problem.

gt-351 said:
no cats,Im on my way to the dyno to ck my a/f raito & play with timing & fp. I'll also ck for vac leaks. But I did clean the RIGHT senors right???

CManT1914 said:
Yea IAT is threaded into the intake pipe (cold air kit). Make sure it's indexed to where the actual sensor is broadside to the incoming air.

If you're still asking about the IAT sensor, yea, you got the right one. :)

I am curious about something said, as it never occured to me that anyone would do it. If one has no cats and the smog pump hooked up, what did the person do? Just leave the diverter tube dangling next to the H-pipe?

HISSIN50 said:
I am curious about something said, as it never occured to me that anyone would do it. If one has no cats and the smog pump hooked up, what did the person do? Just leave the diverter tube dangling next to the H-pipe?
hmm. curious as well. and why would it the exhaust pop? what exactly is happening to make it pop?

HISSIN50 said:

JT, aftermarket mid-pipes without cats, still have a hookup for the smog tube. I actually hooked my smog tube up to the h-pipe, although it just blew air through. Now since I don't have smog, I capped off the pipe on the h-pipe.

CManT1914 said:
JT, aftermarket mid-pipes without cats, still have a hookup for the smog tube. I actually hooked my smog tube up to the h-pipe, although it just blew air through. Now since I don't have smog, I capped off the pipe on the h-pipe.
Wow, I learn something every day. I would have never guessed that a non-catted pipe would have a hook up for the smog heffer. That is kind of like tits on a bull. :)

Thanks Chris - now this all makes more sense. :nice: