car hard to start?

bluebeast

Founding Member
Jul 19, 2002
Mass
My car is hard to start it used to start right up when i turned the key. Now i have to crank it for a while then turn it off then try again and it will start :shrug:. What could it be i last summer i did a major tuneup. also i never hear my fuelpump turn on but it always runs and once it starts it runs good. could my fuel pump be on its way out.
thanks
eric

• Sponsors (?)

i had the same problem. what i had to do so i wouldn't have to crank it so much. was, turn the key to the on position ( not crank) and wait till i heard the fuel pump prime. then i would have to crank it. even thought it wouldn't strat right up, it was better than cranking the hell out of it to start it. the problem is your fuel pump. it does work once you have the car started. but once you turn it off one of the valves doesn't hold pressure to give you that quick start up. so a simple fuel pump change will fix your problem.

just a hint. if you plan on doing new heads, a cam, and intake soon. your best bet would be going for a beefy fuel pump. if not you could just put in a new one to make start ups easier.

good luck.

bluebeast said:
since you are TTT'ing, i will second what Donkey Punch said. sounds right on to me. it may not be your problem, but it is important in troubleshooting so people in here can help you.

cycle the key on and off a few times before starting, as he said to do, and see if it start right up. then post again and go from there.
you could also check your fuel pressure after driving. then watch it overnight and see how low the pressure is in the morning (said another way, see how much pressure bleeds off).
good luck.

it sounds like a fuel pump problem to me and yes you can use that pump but i would use the 255iph intank pump so later on you dont have to rplace a pump because you aint getting enought fuel well you are at it changing the pump i would change the filter and get yourself a adjustable fuel pressure regulater and a fuel pressure gauge