Car Has Reverse, But Problems With Forward Overnight?

Orndorff8908

Aug 22, 2016
Hey guys, I was cruising my 68 Mustang (Motor is a 73 302 that's pepped up with a c4. Had it for 3 years now.) Friday night and drove about an hour and a half. Made two stops, and then brought it home for the night. And I wasn't hot rodding around either. I went out the next morning so I could wash it, and it would barely move in drive. I knew there was plenty of fluid in it so I checked it, all was good. But I noticed my reverse worked no problem. So I tried to go down my street and I almost had to floor it just to get it above 25. So I got it back home, and it won't do anything but reverse. If I kinda get into it a little bit in drive, it feels like it wants to go. So I changed the fluid and filter (only a year old) and changed both. No metal, and the fluid wasn't burnt. Finished that, and still nothing. I pulled the vac line off of the modulator and didn't see any fluid. I just don't know what could have happened by simply putting it in park for less than 24 hours. So if there's any advice you guys could lend it would be greatly appreciated. I still have 3 months of driving left this year!!

• Sponsors (?)

My first thought was that maybe your shifter is out of sorts. Something slipped that is preventing it from going into gear.

Second thought was that your torque convertor crapped out.

But I noticed my reverse worked no problem. So I tried to go down my street and I almost had to floor it just to get it above 25. So I got it back home, and it won't do anything but reverse. If I kinda get into it a little bit in drive, it feels like it wants to go. So I changed the fluid and filter (only a year old) and changed both. No metal, and the fluid wasn't burnt. Finished that, and still nothing. I pulled the vac line off of the modulator and didn't see any fluid. I just don't know what could have happened by simply putting it in park for less than 24 hours. So if there's any advice you guys could lend it would be greatly appreciated. I still have 3 months of driving left this year!!
The forward clutch in C4 is applied in ALL gears except REVERSE. So, suspect forward clutch is slipping. imp