Car is acting up when hot

NJCstang

Founding Member
Apr 25, 2000
Walker, La
I have a 90 LX with the 3G upgrade and the battery in the trunk. When the car warms up I have problems with the car. The oil pressure drops to zero, like the gauge isn’t getting any power. If I rev the engine the pressure raises for a second then drops again. I have not gotten a mechanical aftermarket gauge yet but the problem is getting worse. Now I get valve train ticking when the car is running and hot. I checked the oil and the level is good and the car does not smoke at all. Another problem that I have when the car is hot is it will not start. It will slowly try to crank but nothing happens, just like a dead battery. I can jump it off no problem. If I wait until the car cools completely the car will start no problem, the valve train is quiet and the oil pressure is fine. I do not show any codes and the car runs just as strong hot as it does cold. Can anyone help with what I should be looking at? It just doesn’t make since to me because nothing is consistent. I tried to check the connections on the battery and I actually burnt my finger. It could have been because of the heat and the battery being exposed to direct sunlight through the hatch but it seems like it was hotter than that alone could have gotten it. Thanks

Edit: I meant to put this in tech. Can a mod please move it? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Dude............I already went through this with mine, I feel like deja vu.

What size of postive cable are you running from the battery to front? I used too small of wire I think it was like 3 guage or something and everytime I went to start it the wire was heat soaked causing reistance and no juice to start it. All my electrical was screwed up from etc. ect. I threw in some heavy 0 guage from a semi truck parts place where they sell it by the foot and and wired up a truck cut-off switch mounted behind the rear plate. No more problems!

After doing a little digging I thing you are right. I belive my calbes are all 2 gauge. I am going to redo the both the positive and all the grounds with 1/0 cables. Would this be causing the issues with my oil? I would blame that on the stock gauge but since it started ticking on me I figured it really was not getting oil to the valve train. Could it all somehow be related? That would be great and an easy fix but I am not sure. Thanks for the input.

well I know as soon as I relocated my battery my problems began. I ignored everything on here telling me to put big cables in and I ignored it! what a pain in the butt!

I got stranded a few times until my car cooled down. As far as your guage goes mine did funny things with the battery cable problem and went away when I did it right the second time around. But..........keep an eye on things if that isn't the case. No joke but once something doesn't work you become super paranoid and start hearing new noises and get all worried.

I would try to pick up a super cheap mechanical pressure guage and screw into your pressure sending unit just to double check if you are worried.

Prbably going to a welding supply store or a semi truck parts store would be your best bet :nice:

Rear mounted battery ground wiring. Follow this plan and you will have zero
ground problems.

One 1 gauge or 1/0 gauge wire from battery negative post to a clean shiny spot
on the chassis near the battery. Use a 5/16” bolt and bolt it down to make the
rear ground. Use a 1 gauge or 1/0 gauge wire from the rear ground bolt to a clean
shiny spot on the block.

One 4 gauge wire from the block where you connected the battery ground wire to
the chassis ground where the battery was mounted up front. Use a 5/16” bolt
and bolt down the 4 gauge engine to chassis ground, make sure that it the metal
around the bolt is clean & shiny. This is the alternator power ground.

attachment.php

The computer has a dedicated power ground wire with a cylindrical quick connect
(about 2 ½”long by 1” diameter. It comes out of the wiring harness near the
ignition coil & starter solenoid (or relay). Be sure to bolt it to the chassis ground
in the same place as you bolted the alternator power ground. This is an
absolute don’t overlook it item for EFI cars

Note: The quick disconnect may have fallen victim to damage or removal by
a previous owner. However, it is still of utmost importance that the black/green
wires have a high quality ground..

Picture courtesy timewarped1972
ground.jpg

Crimp or even better, solder the lugs on the all the wire. The local auto stereo
shop will have them if the auto parts store doesn't. Use some heat shrink tubing
to cover the lugs and make things look nice.

For a battery cut off switch, see http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=42225
is the switch http://www.moroso.com/catalog/images/74102_inst.pdf is the installation instructions.
Use the super duty switch and the following tech note to wire it and you will
be good to go.

Use the Moroso plan for the alternator wiring and you risk a fire. The 10
gauge wire they recommend is even less adequate that the stock Mustang
wiring.

There is a solution, but it will require about 40' of 18 gauge green wire.

Wire the battery to the two 1/2" posts as shown in the diagram.

The alternator requires a different approach. On the small alternator plug
there is a green wire. It is the sense lead that turns the regulator on when
the ignition switch is in the run position. Cut the green wire and solder the
40' of green wire between the two pieces. Use some heat shrink to cover the
splices. See http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=7 for some excellent
help on soldering & using heat shrink tubing.

Run the green wire back to the Moroso switch and cut off the excess wire.
Try to run the green wire inside the car and protect it from getting cut or
chaffed. Crimp a 18 gauge ring terminal (red is 18 gauge color code for the crimp
on terminals) on each wire. Bolt one ring terminal to each of the 3/16" studs.
Do not add the jumper between the 1/2" stud and the 3/16" stud as shown it the
Moroso diagram.

How it works:
The green wire is the ignition on sense feed to the regulator. It supplies a turn
on signal to the regulator when the ignition switch is in the Run position. Turn the
Moroso switch to off, and the sense voltage goes away, the voltage
regulator shuts off and the alternator quits making power.

The fuse & wiring in the following diagram are for a 3G alternator. The stock alternator uses a dark green fuse link wire that connects to 2 black/orange wires. Always leave them connected to the starter solenoid even if you have a 3G alternator.

attachment.php

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer)
& Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/ Everyone should bookmark this site.

Ignition switch wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Fuel, alternator, A/C and ignition wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-91 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Vacuum diagram 89-93 Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg

The engine block to chassis ground is critcal. It is the ground for the alternator AND the temp and oil pressure gauge. Without it working perfectly, the gauges will not work correctly.

Voltage drop testing of connections and grounds.

Use a Digital Volt Meter (DVM) to measure the voltage drop across a connection or wire. Adding length to the test leads may be required, and does not affect the accuracy of the test. Use 18-20 gauge wire for the test leads if you have to lengthen them.
1.) Most grounds use the negative battery post as their starting point.
2.) The voltage will be small if the ground is good: less voltage drop = better connection.
3.) Be sure that the power to the circuit is on, and the circuit is being used in its normal manner. For instance, if it is a light circuit, the lights on that circuit should be powered on.
4.) To measure grounds, place one DVM lead on the battery negative post and the other on the wire or connector that goes to ground. Place the other DVM lead on the wire or connection you want to test.
5.) Read the voltage drop: Light duty circuits (1-5 amps) should show .1-.25 volts. Medium duty circuits (6-25 amps) should show .25-.5 volts. Heavy duty circuits (26 amps up) should show .5-.75 volt drop. A voltage drop lower that spec is always acceptable.