car slower with 4.10's & nitto's

I agree I would be pissed, spending the money and losing performance, but it don't make any sense. Like others said do not jump to change the gears back, it might be a mistake. Makes me wonder.........

• Sponsors (?)

also, remember a stock 01 Cobra puts out about what? 280-290 RWHP, maybe more. and you i would say with your mods is putting down what? 250-260 RWHP? same car, weight, just different gearing, trust me, gears make a difference, but not THAT MUCH difference.

and regarding the driving issue. When I had just gears, CAI, pulley's I pulled a 99 Z28(LS1) through 100 mph, granted he caught up with me but at about 110 it was dead even, bottom line is, the RACE should not have been that close, if a good chevy driver was driving that Z28, he would of easily had my be a few car lengths by 100, so don't dwell or worry about it, and another thing, does the car feel quicker, or do you feel it got slower then before, i don't think you mentioned that.

Next time when you want to see what gains a mod gives you, go to the track. Before and after timeslips with a complete log of weather conditions, car setup, etc. are the only ways to tell. Street racing against your friends isn't.

Blakers - I think stock N/A Cobras are about 260-270RWHP, his car is probably in the area of 245RWHP (just a guess).

Oh yeah, I went side by side with a LS1 T/A WS6 at the track last time.......because he missed 3rd. :D I thought I had him when the car stopped pulling at around the 990', but he found the gear in time and grabbed the line by hundreths. :fuss: The launch was all me though. :D

the cobra is a vert & even the coupes weigh more than a GT
plus the brakes add rotational weight.
all i can say is i have only raced 3 stock cobras & beat them all.........hell my car runs rich.
you guys can call bs all you want but the average run-in with a 99/01 cobra leaves the snake getting trampled by the horse.

i just want to @ least be back to the point i was @ before the gears.

why the H E L L are you racing to 120mph on the street anyway?????? If you get caught doing that you will have alot more problems than what you are having now!!! Why dont you take it to the track then you will hook better, will be safer, and you wont have to worry about going 120mph because you wont trap that high therefore keeping the other two cars passing you at higher speeds (which they do have the advantage at higher speeds due to the 3.27 geared cobra and the 3.73 geared lightning) This maybe isnt what you wanted to hear but oh well

RED98Z28 said:
why the H E L L are you racing to 120mph on the street anyway?????? If you get caught doing that you will have alot more problems than what you are having now!!! Why dont you take it to the track then you will hook better, will be safer, and you wont have to worry about going 120mph because you wont trap that high therefore keeping the other two cars passing you at higher speeds (which they do have the advantage at higher speeds due to the 3.27 geared cobra and the 3.73 geared lightning) This maybe isnt what you wanted to hear but oh well
No need for preaching. This place is filled with preachers and jackasses that dont know anything.

If you got slower with gears, it may very well be you(the driver).

If your talking bragging rights for street racing, street raceing is really not really about 120mph speeds. Highway raceing maybe, but 4.10's are not high speed or top end gears. I think most people are talking light to light stuff. With these circumstances it is obvious your car is probably "quicker now but when the speed gets higher and the other cars are at an advantage because they have more power you are at a disadvantage because of the 410's. In your earlier races if the speeds increased you likely would eventually have lost. Now because your getting up to those speeds and your gears are working against you, hence,you are getting beat now. I agree you are stupid to race at those speeds.

GinoGT said:
You'll get a higher top speed with gears because they'll put you further into the powerband in 5th gear.

yeah but gears are not for 120 + mph racing, for that kind of racing you want 3:27's, cause you can say what you want but 373's, 4.10's, 5th gear is not a fun gear to be in.

bottom line, go to the track, screw racing to those speeds on the streets, it's stupid anyway, in a week you'll be back here saying you lost your license or crashed your car, if one thing goes wrong, car loses control or has to swerve for some reason, 120mph is not the speed you want to be at. I am not preaching cause i have done it plenty times and everytime after i am like "WTF, why did I do that" :shrug:

I don't know why some people think that 4.10s hurt you on the highway or on the top end. They don't hurt you at higher speeds at all, a 4.10 geared car should beat a 3.27 geared car at any speed, the worst beating being from a stop. I don't care if you start from a stop, 15, 50, 70 or 90 mph the 4.10 geared car will beat the car with 3.27s assuming equal drivers, etc.

I really can't for the life of me figure out how your car slowed down after gears and LCA's but something definitely isn't right. Are you sure that the Cobra and Lightning didn't add parts between the time you raced them?

You should be shifting at 5,800 - 5,900 rpms, just barely short of 6,000. I don't think shifting at 6,000 is hurting you that much. GT's usually make peak power around 5,200 rpm but hold very, very close to peak output up to 5,500 or 5,600 rpms. Every car is different though and you'll have to figure out what is best for yours. Hell, your factory tach might even be off, who knows?

Ben99GT said:
I don't why people think that 4.10s hurt you on the highway or on the top end. They don't hurt you at higher speeds at all, a 4.10 geared car should beat a 3.27 geared car at any speed, the worst beating being from a stop. I don't care if you start from a stop, 15, 50, 70 or 90 mph the 4.10 geared car will beat the car with 3.27s assuming equal drivers, etc.
I agree...I walk at any speed against the same car with me having a gear advantage.

It took me a little while to get used to the gears. You may be spinning but not realize it. On certain surfaces, my wheels spin like mad but there is no squeel. Especially from a low speed rolled. Tire composition makes a difference too. The Nitto's may be spinning but they may be a 'quiet' spin. I had Kumho Ecstas on when I bought my car and they would wake up the dead at launch. I have Pirelli P6000's on now and they don't make a sound on the same surface but are spinning all the same. Practice launches and I bet you will find you are spinning those wheels.

:stupid:

With my 315 BFG DR's on, it feels like I have a whole different first gear.

You're spinning but don't realize it, the street sucks for traction. Go to the track with a nice pair of DR's or slicks, and you'll have an ear-to-ear smile when you get bitch-slapped into your seat on the launch. :D

GinoGT said:
:stupid:

With my 315 BFG DR's on, it feels like I have a whole different first gear.

You're spinning but don't realize it, the street sucks for traction. Go to the track with a nice pair of DR's or slicks, and you'll have an ear-to-ear smile when you get bitch-slapped into your seat on the launch. :D
There you go... :nice:

Monkie said:
I never understood why GT guys get 4.10s. The rpms just aren't enough for that low of gear. If I had a GT I'd get no less than 3.73s. Another thing is if you can't shift FAST, then you will be slower. You have to shift sooner in 4.10s.

????????. gt's with 4.10 run better than gt's with 3.73's if driven equally. most gt's will run better with 4.30's in stock trim.

you goal is to ben in fourth by the end of the quarter mile with each gear. same number of shifts.

there are 2v's in the 11's and they don't have 3.73's.