Car wont start, now nothing works!

wyant50

Jan 2, 2008
A long detailed story with exactly everything I did and what happend, a short version at the bottom:

66 coup, 289, auto

I did search before I posted!

My car has not been driven in a few day so I decided it needed to be taken out, it was a beautiful day today. High of around 78 degrees, perfect cruising weather.
After having a difficult time starting up, like it always does. Two pumps and the car should start like it normally does. Give it a little gas for a few minuets until it reaches a good idle with out dying.

I got the car up to a good idle after a few minuets and started backing it down the drive way. The car died half way down. I figured it just wasn't warmed up enough. So I cranked it again, started fine. I continued down the driveway and then it died one more time. Tried cranking it again and nothing. Just a click click click. I didn't have time to mess around so I just left it where it was and hopped in my truck and came back a few hours later. Tried starting the car again and nothing, just a clicking sound.

After quiet a few calls to the garage I frequent we tried multiple things. New battery, banging the starter, putting the car in neutral. Nothing worked. The car would just click and then the radio would turn off. We just replaced the starter solenoid thinking that may be the the answer.

I did not pay very close attention to what order the wires came off the starter solenoid! I am almost 100% I put them on correctly because some wires simply wont reach to the other side.

Now before I replaced the solenoid, I would have radio, interior lights, but no headlights. Now I have nothing, the car wont even go click. I have been consulting my Haynes manual and Chilton's as well but nothing has helped.

Do you think I could have put the wires on the starter solenoid backwards? Or in the wrong order? Is the new solenoid just too 'powerful'?

tldr;
Car wont start, it made the 'clicking sound' when you turned the key. Replaced battery, still made the clicking, replaced the starter solenoid, now nothing works.

Any ideas? Any suggestions? All and any help is appreciated! I am stumped.

• Sponsors (?)