Cat-Back or Mufflers

schaake30

Feb 14, 2004
Edwardsville, IL
I am going to purchase new exhaust for my 96GT within the next month. Should I go with the American Thunder Cat-Back or just pu new mufflers on, because I have heard a lot of people say the stock Cat-Back is good enough. Then I would go with the 40series Flowmaster, and leave the stock Cat-Back on there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

schaake30 said:
I am going to purchase new exhaust for my 96GT within the next month. Should I go with the American Thunder Cat-Back or just pu new mufflers on, because I have heard a lot of people say the stock Cat-Back is good enough. Then I would go with the 40series Flowmaster, and leave the stock Cat-Back on there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Check sig.

schaake30:

Mufflers vs. cat-back:

Pros for mufflers only: stock exhaust tubing is stainless, cost for mufflers is significantly less than cat-back system, you can get exactly the mufflers you want.

Cons: Stock tubing is 2 1/4" dia. and will be restrictive if you add a supercharger, N2O, or generate >300 hp; sound may not be a 'rich' as bigger diameter tubing.

FWIW, I had UltraFlos welded into my stock cat-back before I installed the 'Packs and it was perfectly fine for me.

If you are sticking with a mainly stock motor and cash flow is tight, go with mufflers only. This will free up some cash sooner for a new x- or h-pipe (where you will get some good bang for your buck). If you are awash in moolah, go with the cat-back.

Hope this helps.

it boils down on what you want to do with the car. if you are not going to do tones of power mods weld in mufflers. just make sure you dont' spend too much on the labor. local shop wanted to charge me like $120 labor. that plus the mufflers is a waste. when you can go get a full "new" exhaust for like $300. I am a stainless guy myself. to me spending like $400-$500 one time and never worring about the exhaust again is worth it to me.

If youre just looking for sound go with the mufflers. Keep in mind that new mufflers have sort of a break in period and will get lounder after about a week. A cat back isnt going to sound much different, an X or H pipe will.

If you are going for that Flowmasterish sound I would try some Dynomax Super Turbos. They were cheap and had that V8 rumble but didnt sound like every other Mustang with Flowmasters on them. I had them on my 01 and always got compliments. I think I may like them better than the Magnaflows I have now.

I to was more concerned with the sound and price. I just had some flowmasters welded in and am very happy with them. Just go with the muffler, the cheap price makes up for the smaler diameter piping, unless you are looking to really mod you car alot.