CDC Shaker (Mach 1) kit

I'm interested in doing this simply because I'm about to get my hood repainted due to some pretty bad rock chips in the paint I picked up from a long trip over the weekend. This patricular kit retains the stock hood, but the hole for the shaker scoop is cut out and an 'applique' is placed on the hood to hide the cut-out edges. Since the applique has to be painted, I figured "why not?" Anyone here had this kit installed? Any problems with it afterwards? I'm aware there is a very minimal gain, but it's still better than NON-FUNCTIONAL.

• Sponsors (?)

There are a bunch of people on here with the CDC shaker. The early applique had problems, suppossedly the newer applique is better. Hopefully some of the shaker owners will chime in for you. Consider this a bump. :D

WOT said:
Or keep checking Ebay. I just picked up a Mach 1 hood and scoop for $560.

The hood alone is worth more then that.

WOW! That is a good deal! KarKraft's kit is cheaper, but you HAVE to use the OEM Mach 1 hood. After shipping and painting, that kit gets up to around a Grand :nonono: The CDC kit is still a tad pricey...and will end being near the same price after the cutting and painting...BUT, there won't be an extra hood lying around to deal with :D

I appreciate the *bumps* guys :nice:

DarkHorse164 said:
WOW! That is a good deal! KarKraft's kit is cheaper, but you HAVE to use the OEM Mach 1 hood. After shipping and painting, that kit gets up to around a Grand :nonono: The CDC kit is still a tad pricey...and will end being near the same price after the cutting and painting...BUT, there won't be an extra hood lying around to deal with :D

I appreciate the *bumps* guys :nice:
I have the cdc system and it was a bit of a pain to start with however I did get everything worked out . The looks are killer , I am going to sell my system because I am doing a swap 4.6 to 5.4 . If your intrested e-mail me
Hellcat

Okay, here is my take on this. The shaker is mostly only an aesthetic mod, right? So why not spend a few dollars more and get the shaker with the very cool Mach 1 hood instead of the funky GT-hood applique. Now that the Karkraft option is out, this falls plainly in "pay a little more to get it right". Just my opinion.

01GT eibach said:
Okay, here is my take on this. The shaker is mostly only an aesthetic mod, right? So why not spend a few dollars more and get the shaker with the very cool Mach 1 hood instead of the funky GT-hood applique. Now that the Karkraft option is out, this falls plainly in "pay a little more to get it right". Just my opinion.

I'd be down at my local Ford dealer tomorrow (plastic in hand) to pick one up if they made one to fit the 98... :D

01GT eibach said:

Believe me! I'm with you on this one...ultimately, the price is damn near the same (give or take about $100). I just don't have any place to store a hood and shipping costs will deter most from buying it (ebay?). Knowing me, though, I'll end up going with KK's kit in the end simply because CDC couldn't confirm whether or not their kit will mount atop the C&L Plenum due to the added height over the stock plenum.....

DarkHorse164 said:
I'm still waiting to hear from CDC's tech department about using their shaker scoop with the C&L plenum.... Since the C&L is taller than stock, it doesn't look like the CDC mount kit will clear it. Might have to go w/ the KarKraft option :shrug:

It won't clear it, I know since I had the Shaker until I got the plenum. It's close but in the end I did not feel like making new brackets and anything else that I might need to do to make it work. Even if I got it to work I was afraid that a new lower intake would come out and I would go through the same thing again.

Les Paul said:
It won't clear it, I know since I had the Shaker until I got the plenum. It's close.

I REALLY appreciate you chiming in w/ that info! Kinda surprised that CDC wasn't able to (or not interested enough) to get me a clearance figure. How tight was the fit with the C&L plenum? Or did you not even try to make it work? If I measured correctly, there's about 1/2" to 3/4" height difference between the stock plenum and the C&L plenum. I'm waiting for C&L to call me back with a more accurate measurement.

I also believe that the CDC shaker kit sits lower than the stock Mach 1 kit since you retain the factory hood using CDC's kit. The factory Mach 1 hood is taller in the center to accomodate the shaker assembly which leads me to believe there would be clearance. KarKraft wasn't real helpful either :shrug:

Thanks again. :nice:

DarkHorse164 said:
I REALLY appreciate you chiming in w/ that info! Kinda surprised that CDC wasn't able to (or not interested enough) to get me a clearance figure. How tight was the fit with the C&L plenum? Or did you not even try to make it work? If I measured correctly, there's about 1/2" to 3/4" height difference between the stock plenum and the C&L plenum. I'm waiting for C&L to call me back with a more accurate measurement.

I also believe that the CDC shaker kit sits lower than the stock Mach 1 kit since you retain the factory hood using CDC's kit. The factory Mach 1 hood is taller in the center to accomodate the shaker assembly which leads me to believe there would be clearance. KarKraft wasn't real helpful either :shrug:

Thanks again. :nice:

No problem. It really depressed me to have to get rid of it. Although I like CDC very much, their response to me when I emailed when them if they had any ideas on how to make this work kind of put me off. Their response to my question: "You have to modify the brackets. Duh!

Anyway, it looks like the MACH 1 setup will work but it's difficult to say from pictures. In terms of the measurement, you are right. I think about 3/4" difference from the stock plenum. When I was trying to modify it my plan was to have two new brackets made that were about 1/4" above the plenum and a bit longer. The other problem is when you do this the shaker will bind up against the appliqué. This can probably be fixed by sanding down the appliqué where it touches the shaker.

Can't argue with CDC product or stock Mach 1 Shaker looks or functionality, but in my opinion the cost/benefit of converting non-functional to functional falls short of the mark. I considered it, but saved $1K and put it into mods that gave me more 'bang for the buck.' However, if asthetics is your motivation, I'm not going to argue with that either. As a low cost suggestion, and if you are looking for a different look, take the scoop off, deliver it to a Ford body/paint shop and have them paint it flat/matte black...cost, probably less than $100. Reattach with some unique badging/lettering on the sides of the scoop. I recently took my stock spoiler/wing off and had it painted flat black. Cost me $112.00. Added a more aggressive and impressive look to the car. Whatever your decision, good luck with it.
Regards,

I heard back from C&L this afternoon and they confirmed the height difference of 3/4" at top center. The rep advised me that he had a client who did the Mach 1 convert to his GT (wasn't sure if CDC or KK, though) after installing the C&L Plenum, citing no problems or need for custom mounting brackets. :nice: I think I'm going to go the way of KarKraft, though, since the kit is all Ford factory parts. I just gotta locate a Mach 1 hood CHEAP! Almost $400 (includes shipping) and no paint is a bit steep :notnice:

From someone who owns a Mach, the scoop is barely functional, but does "pressurize" the box with cold air. If there is a ram-air effect, it would be above 120mph...

If the look you want is just for the shaker, it also barely shakes. Only when you stab at the throttle will you notice any movement, and to see any "shaking" at idle, one would have to get up close and personal with the scoop.

I bought the car for the name and for the exclusivity (is that a word?) of having a Mach 1.

Now, if you want the cold air affect, and couldn't care about having the shaker (the aplique looks like crap compared to the Mach hood after comparing both), the current 5.0 Resto catalog has a kit to make your stock GT scoop functional. Hood scoop kit

I'm not trying to start a war, as I do like the shaker, but to spend 1k-1500 dollars on that "little" visual mod isn't worth it in MY opinion.