center console over heats on after awhile

Theres an exhorbent amount of heat in the coming up from the center console of my car, enough that it keeps frying my stereo's and on long trips actually makes the plastic a little soft on the surface (ive left a print in it before)...

Here are some factors that ive heard may be causing it.

The rubber boot is removed from the short throw shifter (made it hard to shift) but im pretty sure this happened before i ever had it off. Solution: replace boot and insulate.

The cats may be clogged and getting really hot (but the car has less than 40K miles) Solution: order a prochamber.

my brother also suggested that it may have a "dampner" faulting thats leaking heat into the cabin. However it seems pretty focused on the center console... and the AC still blows cold as ice. no solution

I guess it could be an electrical problem? No one has any interest in trying to fix this, which i think is funny given the current economic climate. Any ideas? i want to get a new Head Unit but i need to make sure my car isnt going to fry it again.

Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

to be honest i think you're on the right track with buying a rubber boot and reinstalling that. what i did was cut the rubber boot right around the base of my MGW shifter. Because you're right it does make shifting a little harder if it fits like factory.

You should probably get a prochamber anyways :)