Chamois...

Drew0318

Aug 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm looking for advice on something to dry the car *good*. I've got a 20 year old (best estimate) lamb-skin leather chamois, but it's well past it's prime. It leave streaks on the glass/etc.

I'm just trying to find a replacement that works. As it is now, it's more labor drying my car than it is washing it.

• Sponsors (?)

I used to use real chamois, but have used the Absorber for probably almost 20 yrs now. Sometimes I will use the California WaterBlade first, but have to still use the absorber afterwards of course. You can pick one up at WallyWorld for around $10 and will last for years. Hey they even come in colors :D

From what I've read, you should hose the car off with filtered water and then use a leaf blower to get a majaority of the water off... thats what my plans are after I fixed all the swirls and water spots :)

Everyone should be looking into using a blower to dry off their vehicle, followed with a microfiber that is meant for drying like the Pakshak waffle weave or the more readily available Meguiars Water Magnet.

I thought I saw on Dream Car garage that they mentioned that water blades were bad for the paint in the long run.:shrug:

They can induce straight line scratches.

:shrug: No scratches here. A blower? :rlaugh:

I'd rather use a "Sham-Wow!"

Apparently you don't know much about reading comprehension or detailing. I said "can", it means it's a possibility. Yes, a blower. :shrug: Go ahead and use crap on your car, it doesn't bother me or my customers. Stick to the Xbox. If I told you the amount of money I typically receive for a full detail, it'd probably make your head pop. :rlaugh:

I still use a chamois, followed by a microfiber towel and / or some very soft , lint free diaper type cloths. Somewhere in between, I use my air compressor to blow out the trapped water from various sources...

Apparently you don't know much about reading comprehension or detailing. I said "can", it means it's a possibility. Yes, a blower. :shrug: Go ahead and use crap on your car, it doesn't bother me or my customers. Stick to the Xbox. If I told you the amount of money I typically receive for a full detail, it'd probably make your head pop. :rlaugh:

If you told me the amount, I'd probably say "that's retarded". I don't really want to spend 8 hours cleaning a car. And yeah, I would like some time durning the day to play my xbox, thank you.:rolleyes:

If you told me the amount, I'd probably say "that's retarded". I don't really want to spend 8 hours cleaning a car. And yeah, I would like some time durning the day to play my xbox, thank you.:rolleyes:

That's fine and dandy but don't mock something someone says, especially when they know what they're talking about and it's damn good advice. A blower or compressed air is literally the best way to dry a vehicle because you aren't touching the paint thus there is less chance to induce scratches in the paint.

I understand what your saying, less touching of the paint means fewer chances to scratch it. So how do you wash your car?

Are we talking about daily drivers or trailer queens? There is a difference in a good detail for a daily driver/show on the weekends and one that only sees show duty.

Not trying to make an argument, but I do think the two are handled differently in the detailing department on different levels.

What kind of attachment do you use on the compressed air so that the air psi. isnt trying to peel the paint off? Is there a defuser attachment or do you just use low psi?
Right now i use an absorber to dry my car. Just got a new one but im going to keep my old one to use to dry tires before i slime them. Ive been wanting to paint my car for years, after its painted i may look into the compressed air method.

I understand what your saying, less touching of the paint means fewer chances to scratch it. So how do you wash your car?

Are we talking about daily drivers or trailer queens? There is a difference in a good detail for a daily driver/show on the weekends and one that only sees show duty.

Not trying to make an argument, but I do think the two are handled differently in the detailing department on different levels.

I wash my car with a SM Arnold's wool mitt, foam gun, and the two bucket method with grit guards in each of them. I don't see a difference in either. I wash my car just like I'd wash a car that was going to be entered into a show. Of course, I don't go over the real fine details every time I wash the car, like engine compartment, etc but it's basically the same wash as far as the paint goes.

Everyone likes to do things differently and I'm not going to tell anyone how to wash their car. Not everyone wants to spend a ton of time on their car and that's fine. I will however give people good, quality advice on the "best" way to do it, IMO.

don't see how its any different. You're following the same procedure whether its a daily driver or a show car, only difference is the daily driver will need more attention.

I agree completely.