Changing idler pulley...

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Well its been a while since Ive posted here and had a problem with my car. Mainly due to the fact that its been parked for like 2 months. After the 3rd PS pump locked up I got aggravated, then school started and I didnt have time to mess with it. I brought it to a mechanic I know today though, so hopefully I have it back in a week or so. But when I brought it I was showing him how the belt went on and I spun the idler and it started rattling. Thats the noise Ive had for about 6 months that I could never figure out. :doh:

Anyway, whats all involved in changing an idler pulley?

Ill be seeing more of you guys since I should be getting my car up and running soon.

• Sponsors (?)

They can be a little tough to locate locally (I kinda like having the lip on the idler and some of the local universal offerings are like tensioner pulleys, with no lip). I had to go through LRS to get the right one IIRC.

Otherwise it has a big Torx head fastener (if you dont have a set, I can fit bits into the fastener to tell you which size you need. You probably have a full set anyhow). The threads might be reverse thread - I cant remember. Soak the thing in PB and go slow so you dont snap the bolt.
It takes about 2 minutes to swap it.

EDIT: mine is a T50

or go for a bit of bling if u cant find one locally. 1994 1995 Mustang Pulleys and Parts

i bought one from the dealership, they said they had to order the whole bracket and everything at the time :bs: but said that there was a note on the computer to a diesel pulley or something that was the same size except made from metal and didnt have the lip

or go for a bit of bling if u cant find one locally. 1994 1995 Mustang Pulleys and Parts

i bought one from the dealership, they said they had to order the whole bracket and everything at the time :bs: but said that there was a note on the computer to a diesel pulley or something that was the same size except made from metal and didnt have the lip

I might get teh bling. :)

All I need is the pulley of that site right?