Changing tranny fluid on a T5

• Sponsors (?)

if you can get someone else to help you that would be great. lay under car with a hose put into the fill hole(upper plug) have extra person pour fluid into hose. when fluid comes out of the hole, then it is full. do this on level ground and it should take around 2.75 quarts.

There's an even easier way than mentioned above. Pull your fill plug, take off your shifter, and pour fluid in through the shifter hole until it starts to trickle out through the fill plug. Stick your finger in to verify the level, and if it's good, put the plug back in, put the shifter back on, and enjoy a job well done :nice:

StangGT1995 said:
There's an even easier way than mentioned above. Pull your fill plug, take off your shifter, and pour fluid in through the shifter hole until it starts to trickle out through the fill plug. Stick your finger in to verify the level, and if it's good, put the plug back in, put the shifter back on, and enjoy a job well done :nice:

Yep thats definatly the easiest way to do it.:nice:

Well now we are gonna split hairs and just leave it to personal preference. I think pulling the shifter boot, bezel, bolts, gasket and shifter is more work than filling through the fill plug. You have to take that plug out anyway to verify the fill.

Everyone has their favorite method. I remove the fill plug and feed a long clear hose down to the fill hole. Then I can pour from up top (the hose comes out by the pass headers and up through the engine compartment).

I run Redline D4.

Good luck.

bubba-dough said:
Well now we are gonna split hairs and just leave it to personal preference. I think pulling the shifter boot, bezel, bolts, gasket and shifter is more work than filling through the fill plug. You have to take that plug out anyway to verify the fill.
you make a good point however the only time i have filled my t-5 is when i have had the tranny out so i have already had to remove all things in your list. don't think that i don't change my tranny oil enough. i have put 6 t-5's in my car in 5 years. oil and tranny's being changed far 2 often. should have just bought a good tranny off the bat.

StangGT1995 said:
+1, thats how i do it

Sunil, it is worth a try. The conventional fluid arguably has a higher coefficient of friction so it might help.

Pod, technically it is said to not have a perishable lifespan, but I would not want to leave it in there.

Good luck.

axionjaxon said:
What happends if you put too much tranny fluid in? Could it hurt the tranny?
yes it will, but it would be hard to over fill because you fill it like you would a rear axle you remove the plug and add fluid until it runs out of plug hole then you screw plug in and torque to 12-22 ft. lbs. your talking about a manual tranny right.