Cheap fender cold air for everyone!

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Maybe anyways. I'm in the process of doing some work on my stock duel snorkel breather lid (again) and i'm putting the factory fender air tubes back in, and it dawned on me that you EFI guys could benefit from this too. You can get these from almost any Fox body car before the aero nose conversion came along. I stupidly threw mine away when i did the nose swap on my car years ago, so i've been searching for replacements. I found one on an '86 V6 vert and one on a Fairmont Futura. I think any of them that used a carb style breather lid (even the CFI cars) had them. They take about 30 seconds to take out...just 2 screws and they drop down out of the wheel well, and take about the same to put them back into your Mustang.

Here's a pic:
InnerFenderTube.jpg

The 90* part goes through the round holes that are in every Fox Mustang. On the carbed cars there was one on each side (which is where the EFI cars later put their washer fluid fill neck at on the driver's side). An EFI car obviously only needs the passenger side. My plan is to cut off that flair at the lower end and attach some duct to it and route that to the front openings on my lower valance. For an EFI car you could easily cut that off and attach a K+N to the end of it.

I dunno...just a thought :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah i threw mine away when i switched to a regular open breather, but i've been reading a lot of tests where guys have actually dropped as much as 2-3 tenths just by running the original snorkel with a K+N inside vs. an open element. It seems that the cold air really does make a difference.

I'm going to get a 4 inch K+N (if it'll fit under my scoop, if not 3 inch) and then get the K+N Extreme filter lid to go on top of instead of running the stock breather lid. Then i'm gonna get some rubber and make a seal to seal the breather to the hood, then i'm gonna make the hood scoop functional so i'll have fender cold air and hood cold air. I don't know if under hood pressure is going to allow the scoop to let in air but it'll be cool lookin lol.

Here's an article where a ram air setup similar to the stock duel snorkel went from 13.03 to 12s with a 12.80 best time, and they did 6 runs to show that it wasn't a fluke. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/12/ramairbox/

If you look at the valance in my sig pic, those long rectangular opening on the sides, i'm going to make some plastic scoops to go in there and run a duct over to the fender tube. Those tubes exit about 10 inches behind those openings.

Was that me your refering to? lol I dropped 2 tenths when I put that dual snorkel air cleaner back on.

No but you make another example...unless you're the same guy over on carbdford.com who did the same? There's a few guys over there who have done a lot of testing with air boxes and different set ups and they say the duel snorkel is better than an open element. One guy said he even dropped 2 tenths with a Fram filter.

Ya I definately brought both style filters to the track one day and was running 2 tenths faster with the snorkel.

Mine is all welded up and maxed out right now lol. I dont know if the thing will be able to flow enough air for my new motor combo now with the aluminum heads though

Ya I definately brought both style filters to the track one day and was running 2 tenths faster with the snorkel.

Mine is all welded up and maxed out right now lol. I dont know if the thing will be able to flow enough air for my new motor combo now with the aluminum heads though

It'll be fine...think about an EFI setup...they only have 1 fender tube and we've got 2. It might be a good idea to remove the choke plates inside the snorkels though. I'm going to have mine bead blasted and paint the inside with some white ceramic paint (heard an old hotrod trick that white paint blocks heat) and i'm gonna cover the bottom with heat shielding and either weld it all up or just use JB Weld.