checking trans fluid

driftin luke

Mar 17, 2003
Heres somthing strange, when I check my auto trans fluid and the engine is cold but running the fluid level barely touches the bottom of the stick. But when the engine is hot and running the fluid level goes just over the max marking on hot portion of the dipstick.By the way the trans shifts fine and the fluid is a nice deep red. I just can't believe that the fluid expands that much under heat.Any opinions?My only thought is this, I bought the car used could someone have replaced the original dipstick with one for another engine?

• Sponsors (?)

That really does not make any sense. It it designed to read within a certain range hot and cold. I will note, however, that *hot*may be at a specific degree, not just drive it for 30 miles and check it. If it wont even read on the stick cold, I would be skeptical.

Also, some manufacturers have a specific way of checking. Toyota for example, start at park and go through each gear and back up to park, then check the fluid. Might make a much bigger difference than you think.