Chip Key Issue?

Mustang pop

Dec 1, 2023
Iowa
Working on fixing up son's 2002 conv. Had two good keys, wanted a third. Guy at Ace couldn't do the chip key, but cut me a blank (no chip) and said this should work to open the door, and maybe will start it. Try it and let me know, he said.
Key opened door ok, but when I tried it in the ignition, it cranked but didn't start. Turned it again and it didn't even crank. Now NONE of the keys work. No crank, and red security light flashing. Tried the leave the key (chip that worked before) in the on position for 10 minutes maneuver, no luck. Disconnected battery for an hour - no luck. Anyone have any suggestions beside tow it to the dealer?
Weird note: Pioneer radio (installed by Best Buy 12 years ago) had quit working last summer (just made loud bad noise) now works perfectly.
Going to talk to the Ace guy today.

• Sponsors (?)

I moved this to a forum where the members hang that play with this era stang, some are only allowed out for a limited amount of time so be patient, I will say in my experience you could have a mobile locksmith come to your location faster and less expensive than towing to a dealer, wait 2 or 3 days for them to reprogram yours.
I know some dodges I dealt with had a 'three strikes, you're out' deal, but they started the next day with the original key.
Call a local locksmith, in some cases there is a pats code that can be programmed without the car, you just need proof of ownership.
It's been a few years since I've dealt with keys and anti theft.
OH, welcome to :SN:

ACE won't be able to program it. You'll need a locksmith, or dealer, or Forscan.

When the chip key is read properly, the THEFT light will be solid. When there is an error, it will blink rapidly. If you attempt to start the car without the proper chip, the PATS system will disable all starts for 15 mins unless you start the car with a properly programmed key. It should still crank though. The fact that it's not cranking makes me wonder if something else is up. I would leave the battery connected, lock the car and walk away for a few hours and then come back with the programmed key and try.

Do not put the non-chip key anywhere near the ignition again. It won't start the car.

You can attempt to use ForScan to program the keys, but this may not be your issue. But it's a hell of a lot easier than going to the dealer.

BTW at around 9 mins in the video is the procedure for programming a 3rd chip key when you already have 2.

You want to buy a Strattec 597602 if you want another key. Cut it locallally and program it according to how i do it at 9 mins in the video. It's also in the owners manual.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I moved this to a forum where the members hang that play with this era stang, some are only allowed out for a limited amount of time so be patient, I will say in my experience you could have a mobile locksmith come to your location faster and less expensive than towing to a dealer, wait 2 or 3 days for them to reprogram yours.
I know some dodges I dealt with had a 'three strikes, you're out' deal, but they started the next day with the original key.
Call a local locksmith, in some cases there is a pats code that can be programmed without the car, you just need proof of ownership.
It's been a few years since I've dealt with keys and anti theft.
OH, welcome to :SN:
Thank you

I can’t say it works for all Fords, but I bought a smart key from eBay or some such place, had a locksmith cut it to match, and my Ford had instructions on how to program it yourself. Mine was on an early 2000s Ranger.

Bill