Choked exhaust = failed emissions???

I never ask simple questions......I'm struggling with smog. I understand the dynamics of exhaust gases and what it takes to pass. I'm just wondering about the variables that might take place and work against me in achieving my goal to pass smog. My question is this......understanding NOx to be the byproduct of a REALLY HOT (i.e. lean) burning cylinder.......and I'm running #9 pounds of boost through a 306 with AFR 185's.....but a stock exhaust diameter. New exhaust ready to put on AFTER I pass the emissions (no cats). So....can choking the hell out of the engine with a pinner exhaust cause excess NOx to be read at the "sniffer." ?? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

mint93GT said:
I never ask simple questions......I'm struggling with smog. I understand the dynamics of exhaust gases and what it takes to pass. I'm just wondering about the variables that might take place and work against me in achieving my goal to pass smog. My question is this......understanding NOx to be the byproduct of a REALLY HOT (i.e. lean) burning cylinder.......and I'm running #9 pounds of boost through a 306 with AFR 185's.....but a stock exhaust diameter. New exhaust ready to put on AFTER I pass the emissions (no cats). So....can choking the hell out of the engine with a pinner exhaust cause excess NOx to be read at the "sniffer." ?? Thanks.

No, NOx is caused by internal engine conditions, ie lean a/f mix, inoperitive egr, etc. Your stock exhaust with cats won't have any negative effect on your emissions readings. Make sure any aftermarket mods have CARB #s on them.