Chrome Wheel Cleaner On Aluminum Wheels

denniscjr

Jan 5, 2007
Hey Guys! I was very dumb recently as you can tell by the title... I got brand new rims from www.musclecarsusa.com which have cheap prices but took a hella long time to my wheels. Anyway I bought my rims and after about a week I decided its time to clean em up of course. Not paying attention to what I was doing or using I grabbed my uncles Chrome wheeler cleaner which he uses on his chrome rousch wheels. I went from wheel to wheel spraying it on and waited about 10 seconds and then started to spray them off. After starting to spray the first one off I saw a hazy look on the chrome lip of my wheel. I started to scrub it and noticed it wasn't coming off. I sprayed it off all my wheels and I used mothers metal polish to get the chrome lip shiny but the middle of my wheel is a metallic painted piece and I cant seem to find anything to get that off. My dad told me it might be the acid that ate at the metal. Has anybody ever been as dumb as me and done this or seen it happen? If anybody needs any info let me know i'll be more than happy to let you know.

• Sponsors (?)

your Dad is right, unfortunately, this set of wheels is more than likey ruined for good. the acid in that cleaner will eat clearcoat paint right off. it will also ruin any polished wheel it is used on. i used to detail cars for a living, so i have seen pretty much everything when it comes to this. food for thought, don't use cleaner at all on any new wheels, just use a good soap and water. if the wheels are new, there is no reason a cleaner would be needed. to fix your problem, you will have to have the center of the wheels repainted, or maybe buffing them out will fix them. but that is about all you can do. sorry

I had a simular problem on my Junk Yard Dogs from Cottington. I dulled them up pretty good with a cleaner that was "supposed " to be safe. I polished them by hand with Never Dull which helped but it didn't restore the shine in had before.

as it has been said, the cleaners will etch the polished finish and have to be polished again. On polish wheels,NEVER use anything abrasive, i dont even like Nver Dull, that will aslo scratch the finish. I use Bule Magic,Wenol, etc.. I have had good luck with the Flitz ball and the small Mother Powerball.The bigger ball didnt do crap for me.

You will never acheive the same finsh as machine polish, so do the best you can by hand.

Looking pretty good

I had a simular problem on my Junk Yard Dogs from Cottington. I dulled them up pretty good with a cleaner that was "supposed " to be safe. I polished them by hand with Never Dull which helped but it didn't restore the shine in had before.

I took my rims to a guy and he polished them up pretty good. I don't know what he did or how he did it because he speaks no english, but they look very nice. Not perfect mind you, if you look close you can see some damage in small spots. The important thing is they are shiney again and good enough for me to roll with and not to buy a new set. Sorry Boyd.