Clunk From 5-Speed Trans...

LASTFOX

Jul 21, 2003
RI
I’ve searched the forums and haven’t found anyone out there with this exact same issue, so please don’t flame me. I’m just wondering if the problem I have is inherent/typical of the Fox Body.

In preparation for my Kenne Bell 1500 SC, I decided to stiffen up the body-flex typical of a Fox/Conv chassis. Less flex, more power to the ground, right? I just recently installed Energy Suspension Trans/Motor/X-Member Poly Bushings. I secured the trans/x-member first to minimize the shifting of driveline components, and then moved up to the engine mounts. Test drove and noticed an improved response from a dead stop! I then installed Hotchkis rear trailing arms along w/KYB shocks and axle dampers. Test drove and car corners excellent. Now, this is want I notice and I’m not sure if it’s because of the stiffer then stock components I installed or is normal.

If I let off the gas and tap it lightly and/or press clutch in/out, in any gear while moving, I feel/hear a driveline clunk. I have checked the following and here’s what I’ve found.

1. My U-Joints and bolts are tight. Frt. & Rear, no slop.
2. My Rear-End Pinion is tight, no whine/cluck.
3. But, when I turn the drive shaft, while the car is in gear, I hear/feel a CLUNK directly below the shifter, more so at the output shaft of the Trans. I am positive that the noise is in the Trans, because if with one-hand I hold the yoke directly on the O/P of Trans and with the other hand on the drive shaft, I DO NOT get any noise. So the play is between the O/P yoke and O/P shaft splines in the Trans.

Is this normal?
And, do I notice it more now because I’ve stiffened up the driveline components?
Thanks in advance for any help! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I learned to live with it, if it truely is a problem. Everythings tight underneath, so it's probably the the inherent FOX body clunk...Next week I'm having 3:55's put in, so if somethings out of the ordinary then I'm sure we'll notice it.

Thanks Fost...but my tranny/crossmember mounts are new(Urethane). Thats probably the reason I have noticed the Clunk more so than with the OE Rubber (POS) Mts. :rolleyes: