Clunking after lowering...?

08blueskunk

May 8, 2008
Maine
OK I lowered my "NEW" (i say new because it only has 1000 miles so i AM RULING OUT WORN OUT PARTS) 08 GT i used the Ford Performance Springs 1.5" drop.

Now i noticed at low speeds i am hearing a clunking over bumps? It sounds like something is loose i can't seem to figue out if it is all four wheels or not? I know the front passenger for sure. I double checked all the bolts during install to make sure they were tight. I rechecked the under hood top bolts an dthey were still tight? I am putting it on teh lift today and checking everythign again anything to look for?

Could it be one time use bolts not tight enough and need replacing?
Could it be my "NEW" factory shocks/struts bottoming out?

I know others have commented and experienced the same issue.

anyone have any ideas.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think they bottom out. The bumps that cause the noise are small but harsh hits that cause the clunking noise. When I'm at speed you don't hear anything.

Also, did it take a week or two for the noise to show up? That is when I noticed it.

You said upper strut mounts?

do you mean a tower brace or something different?
There is a plate atop the strut. That is what he replaced.

I talked to Tokico and they mentioned on their project car the vertical stabilizer bar that mounts to the front strut came loose twice so they used lock tight to stop the nut from backing out. They also mentioned going through and double checking all nuts for proper torque. He specifically mentioned the vertical stabilizing bar and the piston nut...

There are a few issues that can cause noises and clunking. 1) Front strut mounts I've also heard they are crap. 2) Front stabilizer links if not handled properly during removal and install they can make noise too if you're too harsh with them. 3) Check the torque on the rear shocks. 35ft-lb upper nuts and 85 ft-lb on the lower. 4) You have lowering springs with shocks and struts that have longer travel then the spring. 5) Lowering the car changes pinion angle and rear end centering with the pan hard rod. 6) Harsher suspension deflection can cause exhaust pipes to hit floor board or pan hard bar.

Pick one or more causes for noise.......try to isolate. You may be experiencing multiple problems.

Sounds like you need new strut mounts. I've heard of it before. However I've lowered three Mustangs myself and have never needed to replace the mounts. The mounts are $50, just a bunch of time to have to tear back into it. The mounts are one time use parts anyways.

Another thing i noticed it doesn't seem to "clunk" when i am in a turn? i have a round about at my apt. complex and there is a decent bump in the middle and i hear nothing...but it could be nothing.

i am tearing back into it probably tonight.

through ford Performance you can buy the 2007 SVT upper mounts for $66 and they are supposed to be "heavier duty" they fit 05-08 GT's.

I think i isolated the noise to the rear but it is so hard to tell for sure by myself. I talked to th eguys at teh ford garage but they weren't aware of any problems?

'stupid meter' is going up for me!!!

I recently found I was tightening the top nut (rear shock) with a socket. Went to Mustang Monthly online and they show an install of lower springs, shocks, and struts. On the rear shock he was using a 17mm and a 8mm (I believe) to tighten the nut down. The 8mm was used on the flat sides where the protective cap goes.

I finally realized after several minutes of tighten the fricking nut I was getting no where!!!

Thats what happens when you are noobie at this stuff....

The good thing is nothing back out as far as I can tell. It is raining here in Portland so I'll check hopefully tomorrow to see if the clunking is gone...

Tighten End links?

Can you point those out in noobie fashion? I am assuming you mean rear shock?

I am new to the world of suspension. sorry
The top (or end) of the shock/strut is what I believe he means. Tighten the nut below the protective cap. I was able to tighten the front strut with a socket but the back one needs to be tightened with a 17mm and 8mm (not sure on the 8mm) wrench. Once it is tight enough you may be able to put a socket on it to get the correct torque requirements.

Sounds like you need new strut mounts. I've heard of it before. However I've lowered three Mustangs myself and have never needed to replace the mounts. The mounts are $50, just a bunch of time to have to tear back into it. The mounts are one time use parts anyways.

How long is it going to take before everyone realizes this and stops re-using their strut mounts?