Clutch adjustment problem!!

I am having a devil of a time getting my clutch properly adjusted. Here's the situation.

-Brand new rebuilt T-5 done by reputable local tranny shop. ( I did the R&R on the tranny myself )
- Brand new King Cobra clutch, Ford Racing quadrant and adjustable clutch cable, NO FWA.
- Used B&M short throw shifter from my old tranny. Worked fine on old tranny.
- Full synthetic Mercon ATF

- I finally got the clutch adjusted to what I think is "zero lash". If you manually press the clutch pedal, it does not get stiff until it is even with the brake pedal. Clutch engages about about 1/4 way off the floor. I am happy with where and how it engages.

- 1-2 shift is fine, 2-3 shift is fine but it grinds going into 4th and 5th.
4-3 and 3-2 downshifts are fine. No problems with reverse. This is with normal driving - no power shifts.

- I was thinking of loosening the clutch adjustment some more but I really would not want the engagement point any lower to the floor.

- Could this be a shifter problem since it only grinds 4th and 5th??. I had no problems with the same shifter on my old tranny.

Any ideas what the problem might be?? Should I just keep loosening the clutch adjuster??

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

Call PROMOTION ask for Walt. He can straighten it out. I run his firewall setup and it works great. Beats crawling around on the ground too.He's very knowledgeable on manual transmissions and clutches.

Sounds like you need to tighten the adjustment a little. Another thing you can do that really helps is to either shim the pivot ball in the bell housing or get an adjustable one to give you some more fork travel. A good high pedal is much better for high spirited shifting occasions.

EMW150- I had the clutch tighter/higher and it would soft grind 3 and hard grind 4. With the clutch a little looser it soft grinds 4 and 5. I would loosen it some more but then the engagement point would be on top of the firewall!!

Well I spoke to the shop that rebuilt my tranny. He said that it sounds like I have the clutch pretty much properly adjusted.

He said to bring it over and he will take a look at it. Tranny came with a warranty, so I will see what he says.