clutch cable preload ???

• Sponsors (?)

02ZincGT said:
is there anyway to add some tension to my stock clutch cable assembly. i know it can be adjusted by pulling up on the pedal but that doesnt do anything and i need more tension........help please

Yes there is. On corral.net there is a tech article on how to adjust your stock clutch using the stock adjusting mechanism beyond just how the owner's manual shows. Pulling up on the pedal puts more slack on it I think. The tech article shows how to put more tension on it.

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

Now that I figured out how to do it it's pretty darn simple and very effective and I can do it just by kneeling next to the car with the door open. Just push down the clutch pedal with your left hand and push up on the quadrant while releasing the clutch pedal until you hear it click. I wanted to put more tension on the throwout bearing to stop it from chirping like a cricket. The technique worked like a charm, everything is nice and quiet. The article talks about only making it click once, I had to make it click twice to get the TOB to keep quiet. I don't care if it shortens the TOB's life, it's really embarrasing driving around in a car that makes odd noises. I bought a Steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster to do the same thing but haven't gotten around to installing them yet.