Clutch chatter with NEW clutch install

solus

Mar 10, 2007
Didn't want to hijack another thread so started this..

I have a new flywheel, clutch (Luk), and transmission with less than 5k miles on them. Ever since I got the work done, I've had clutch chatter when the pedal is up. The noise is like a squeak definately caused by something rotating. The noise goes away when I put the clutch pedal in a couple inches.. not enough to disengage the clutch (not sure if its enough to slip the clutch), just some pressure. I would think its the throwout bearing... but I just got that entire chunk of my car replaced.. why would it still be making noise? Could they have reused the old TO bearing?

I read somewhere on here that a maladjusted clutch cable can cause the TO bearing to squeak too. Is there something I can do to my cable adjustment (remove slack? something about "zero lash"..?) to see if it removes the noise without replacing the TO bearing? Cable and quadrant are all stock..

This noise drives me crazy. Any help would be appreciated. The shop that did the work say they can't fix it, its something that "sometimes happens" but doesn't cause any harm or damage to the clutch assembly... is this :bs: or are they right? Regardless, I'd like to get rid of it if its easy/cheap to do.

• Sponsors (?)

When I installed the KC clutch kit it did the chatter thing off and on for about two weeks. It finally stopped and I have never heard it again. I assuming that the clutch finally mated itself to the pressure plate/flywheel.

Thanks for your response!

I've had this clutch in since the summer. Its been well over two weeks :D Even drove the car up north to school. The noise is worse in the cold...

I said "NEW" in the topic b/c I've had the noise since it was newly installed.

You most certainly should not have any clutch chatter with the clutch fully engaged.

I'm one whom likes to set the clutch cable adjustment at zero lash - I remove all slack from the cable. This keeps the TOB touching the diaphram fingers just a hair (which saves the TOB retainer) but does not preload the clutch. I have even used a slight bit of preload on the cable (which isnt enough to do anything except hold the TOB tighter against the diaphram fingers) if a TOB is noisy.

If you desire and have the 'room' to do it (we don't know how your clutch is currently adjusted regarding cable slack), you could tighten the adjustment up a hair if you like. I'm not real hot on doing this to fix a noisy TOB but it can work.

Good luck.

My clutch/TO bearing isn't showing any signs of shutting up.
So my best bet is to replace w/ a Ford TO bearing and hope for the best?..
Or just live with the noise..

I may take it in to the place that did the work and ask them to deal with it... I have some number of years warranty on their labor - just hope it covers it.

To adjust my cable, I'd have to get a firewall adjuster, cable, and quadrant, no? or can I get away with just the adjuster?

Thanks!

To adjust your linkage (to tighten the cable more than the stock components allow), you could just add a FWA. The stock quadrant and pawl will strip on you sometime so you might as well just renew the quadrant (with a metal one) at the same time. It's 30 bucks well spent.

Good luck.