clutch issues

SisuSvt

Sep 8, 2006
Florida
I am experiencing a really bad smell on hard launches and a squealling noise when I push down on the clutch. From reading a lot of threads, it appears the clutch and throw out bearing are going bad.

Looking for opinions on:
1. Diagnosis of clutch and TOB going bad
2. Centerforce vs. Spec vs. RAM clutches on an 03 Cobra with the mods in my signature. (I have heard mixed reviews on these clutches)

My Cobra is a daily driver with 30k miles (until it is paid off, then it goes into retirement in my garage).

Thanks in advanced for the opinions!

• Sponsors (?)

The squealing is definitely the TOB and the smell is most likely the clutch. Does your clutch seem to be slipping at all? The stock TOB's have a Ford SSM on them, but since you already have 30K on the car I'm pretty sure Ford won't warranty or honor it.

As for what aftermarket clutch to go with... there's an awful lot of debate on that. I suggest you surf on over to http://www.ModularPerformance.com and do a search in their 03/04 specific Cobra forum. The best Terminator tech on the web can be found there along with the most knowledgeable owners and tuners.

U.M.

Thanks for the feedback. The clutch does not seem to do hold well with hard launches from a standstill or at speed.

I will take a look at modular performance on the clutch. I just want the take care of these issues as they are really annoying. It's great having 430+ hp, but for now, I don't want to use it all! (daily driver)

I don't go to the strip much, but would like to bump up the torque rating of the clutch in preparation for a future kb or whipple upgrade in the next year.

Once I have a consesus or 'recap' from modular I will post it on this site for all to read.

Thanks again