clutch on a hill sucks!!

• Sponsors (?)

A old-school tip back from the days when every car had a manual: use your emergency brake.

When waiting on a hill, pull the brake up fairly high so that it holds you in place if you let off the regular brake. When time to go, you just do clutch/gas normally, but simultaneously putting down the e-brake as the car begins to move forward. That way no burn outs or burnt clutches... :nice:

Yea, my sister done it (rolled back into another car) in her husbands 375hp Nova in the day. That thing wasn't the easiest to take off with on a flat, let alone on a hill. Not any damage to the car just the license plate from the pointed bumpered car behind.

Great tip with the emergancy brake, a line-loc is good for hill holding too as well as the burn-out box. :D

my dad made me learn how to drive a stick on a hill. Until i mastered the hill without stalling/rolling i couldn't drive it anywhere else. Go find a hill thats not busy and practice. If i was at a redlight and someone rolled back into me because they couldn't drive a stick i would be pissed!

The clutch on my Mach is great. It has the perfect amount of resistance to it that enables you to let it out and actually feel the engagement point. Unlike wimpy clutches like on my Focus where you let it out to fast and gun the engine and spin the tires. :nonono:

I learned how to deal with hills many moons ago, and using a wide variety of vehicles. Like others said, it's about avoiding the panic.

Also, take it as a personal reminder to not get right up on the ass end of another car on a hill. There's always a chance that the person is driving stick, and they may let it drift back accidentally. Legally it's their responsibility to not back into you...but it's better to be smart and uncrunched than damaged and right.

On the first week of driving my car there is a traffic light at the top of a hill that i go turn on. I got scared as **** and attempted the feat, but stalling a couple of times and hearing horns blaring didn't help. i don't even go up that hill anymore, now on hills i just put it in neutral and hold the brake, then when its time to go put it in gear and let the clutch out quick to avoid from rolling back to fast.

Yeah...like others said....just get some time to practice playing around wth the clutch and gas. Half the time you won't even need the brake, just hte right amount of gas and clutch work. But then again its prolly not very good on the clutch. And YES...do yourself and others a favor...don't get right up on someone on a hill. I can probably start my stang off on a pretty steep hill with only a few inches roll back. If someone is that damn close to me and I roll and hit them, I'll be getting out of my stang and beating some ass cuz it ain't gonna be my fault!

i dont have that problem, however when i was teaching my g/f manual in her car, i would always tell her, if ur on an incline and u think ur gunna roll back, just give it hell, id rather roast my tires than rolling back into a car, although, if u do roll back into a car u could always blame the other driver that they were too close :shrug:

Yeah its scarry at first but practice makes perfect.
I hate it when azzholes pull up right behind you and you have like 2 inches of space even after driving a stick for a couple years it sucks.

My car isn't exactly the easiest to take off considering it has a Spec Stage 3 clutch, which is very grabby. It took me a couple weeks to get it down. At first, I just used the e-brake to hold the car. When the car started moving foward, I unlocked the brake and go vroom!

A couple days ago, a lady in an SUV was too close behind me. I revved to "scoot" up a little and she apparently got the message and backed off lol

When I had the automatic, I really never thought about this. I'm sure I was guilty of pulling up too close behind someone on a hill. I think many who have never driven or ridden stick does this because they don't know the actual mechanics of a manual trans.