clutch pedal bushings – disassembling tips?

PM 65

Nov 2, 2005
Austria (Europe)
Hello all together,

I have a little clutch pedal noise problem with my car. When the car is cold or it stands for a few hours there is no noise when pushing the clutch pedal for the first ~20 times. After pushing the clutch several times again it begins to make a creaking noise like an old hinge which needs some drops of oil. So I used the forum search and found out that it could be worn out plastic bushings from the clutch pedal shaft. So I take a look under the foot-room to check on it but there are 100 cables and other things in the way to access this part. I thought of just spray some oil on the shaft but I think this will not help for long and it is not solving the real problem.
So can anybody give me a good advice which is the best and easiest approach to change the bushings? How can the spring from the clutch pedal be removed, there isn’t much room for tools and the spring tension is enormous.

Or are there some other suggestions what could be the noise maker? Something I could check on?

Thanks for your help,
greetings Mario

clutch.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

you're overthinking it :)

it's not a bad job....the pedal assembly can be removed in it's entirety with the spring.

I would suggest removing the whole pedal assembly, it's not a bad job. Unbolt it at the firewall...two bolts at the brake cylinder, two bolts above that on the firewall...pull the clip out for the brake at the pedal assembly, then there is another bolt or two above the ebrake handle if memory serves me and it'll drop down. It may help to pull the clip out of the pass side of the pedal assembly and slide the pedal right out, then drop the housing.

the reason I suggest to drop the housing, is you really should update and get rid of the plastic bushings...

I used the mustangsteve kit and converted it to roller bearings...works like a charm, and effort is like pushing on a slinky...real light.

modified for cable clutch and bearings

go here

MustangSteve's Tie Rod Adapters and Lower Ball Joint Adapters for Installation of Granada or Versailles Disc Brakes on 65-73 Mustangs

clutch%20pedal%20assmbly.jpg

clutch%20pedal%20side%20shot.jpg

If you just want to replace the nylon bushings, you can do that in a couple hours without removing the pedal bracket. You'll have to remove the pedals, which requires loosening the ebrake from the bottom of the dash and forcing it against the fresh air vent. The nylon bushings hold up a lot better when lubed with white lithium grease.

Either way you'll need to remove the clutch pedal, I can tell you a dead easy and safe way to do this, also to install it without effort or danger.

You could also install the roller bearing kit without removing the bracket, but that's a little more work. If the white metal grommets in the bracket are damaged, you'll have to replace them anyway, so do the rollers. I prefer the Drake roller kit, worth the money, even if the kit is screwy and needs to be modified just to work, it requires no welding.

1: Remove the steering shaft 4 bolts/4 firewall screws (10 min)
Remove the brake pedal assembly disconnect the 2 rods, 8 bolts (let the master cyl just kinda hang (20min)

Its not that bad at all...dont sweat it!

I used a needle bearing retrofit kit from NPD when I converted my '68 to a 4-speed and installed a clutch pedal. I had to grind some tabs on the old metal bushings to remove them, but the bearing kit drops in after that and the hardest part is getting the pedal bracket back under the dash.

Mine does this a little bit, especially when its cold outside. I remember someone recommended a while back to use gun oil on it. Would that work well? If not, I guess I will use white lithium grease. Whats the best way to get the lubricant in there while its assembled?

Mine does this a little bit, especially when its cold outside. I remember someone recommended a while back to use gun oil on it. Would that work well? If not, I guess I will use white lithium grease. Whats the best way to get the lubricant in there while its assembled?

Aerosol at all four of the places where the bushing are exposed. Use the little tube that comes with the cam. Lay something on the carpet for the drips.

Thanks for the Infos and good describtions! They are really helpful! The conversions with the roller bearing kits look like a really good investion! Added this one to my purchase list for my holiday trip to the US this year. Damm, i think i need bigger suitcase :D