Clutch problems?

I just had a Center Force duel friction clutch "installed" in my car. Well first I asked the shop to put in a King Cobra clutch but they said they could not find one to fit my tranny. ? They kept getting one for a T45 and I have a TR3650 in my car. They had my car for 3 days. ???
I was getting a lot of clutch chatter before the install so I figured I need a new clutch. (85,000 miles) The chatter was only for a few miles after the first start up in the morning and only when the clutch was disengaged. Sounded like the engine was falling apart though.
After the install... Chatter still there. Still only when disengaged. The only difference I see with the "new" clutch is the clutch is engaging at the top of the peddle now instead of at the bottom like the "old" clutch did. Shouldn't the Chatter be gone now?
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Silverstang02GT said:
I just had a Center Force duel friction clutch "installed" in my car. Well first I asked the shop to put in a King Cobra clutch but they said they could not find one to fit my tranny. ? They kept getting one for a T45 and I have a TR3650 in my car. They had my car for 3 days. ???
I was getting a lot of clutch chatter before the install so I figured I need a new clutch. (85,000 miles) The chatter was only for a few miles after the first start up in the morning and only when the clutch was disengaged. Sounded like the engine was falling apart though.
After the install... Chatter still there. Still only when disengaged. The only difference I see with the "new" clutch is the clutch is engaging at the top of the peddle now instead of at the bottom like the "old" clutch did. Shouldn't the Chatter be gone now?
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Hey cool, another SW Floridian. I just had a new clutch put in mine at 85,000 miles. Except mine never chattered before, just had a TOB issue. But now with the new clutch, it does chatter, really bad in reverse. I have about 3-400 miles on it and it seems to be getting slightly better, but I don't think it will ever go away completely now.

Clutch engagment points could be taken care of with a manual firewall adjuster. I put one of these on and it let's me choose where I want my engagement point to be, and it's very easy to adjust.

I'm also in the market for a new clutch and this is what i learned today. This may be common knowledge, but it's new to me, so I thought I would share.
The place that's gonna do mine said that they also resurface the stock flywheel. If you change out the clutch and the resurfacing is not done, then you have a new flat surface (clutch) engaging on a worn surface(flywheel)....make sense? That's where he siad the chatter comes from.

Now granted, it's obvious that there will be chatter at first after install, but it should go away, from what i understand. There is also the break ini period that he strongly recommended for about 500 miles. If not, permanent damage could set it.

I hope this helps. :cheers:

BTW. That same shop that I spoke to said that, they do make a King Cobra Clutch for an 03. He also said that Ford sold that name a while ago and that Spec now carries that name. :shrug:

Not trying to add fuel to your fire or rain on your parade. Really I'm not. Just thought you may want to know what I was told.

I've only spoken to 1 shop about it. Who knows, maybe it's this guy that's full of Sh**.

BlueRuckus is absolutely right about resurfacing the flywheel... it is an absolute must or you will have chatter. However, if SilverStang had his clutch installed at a shop that was even half way reputable I should think that they would know that that has to be done.

Jeez, replacing the clutch without resurfacing the flywheel is like changing the oil without replacing the oil filter...these just go hand in hand. I've never heard of any place swapping clutches and NOT resurfacing the flywheel.