Clutch related question here

chuckstang95

Nov 1, 2004
Boston
I have a 99, with a RAM powergrip clutch and an aftermarket quadrant/firewall adjuster. My clutch is only 6 months old. I am having difficulty at times, getting my clutch to disengage at a standstill, which leaves me nearly stuck in a gear at a stop light. I have to just really yank it outa gear. I had this same type of problem when I had my Centerforce DF, but at that time I just thought I needed a new clutch. Since this problem is happening again...does any body have any idea what else could cause this lack of disengagement at a stop? Also, when I adjust my cable, I notice that my clutch pedal will actually change in height in relation to the floor.
I would greatly appreciate any ideas...my flywheels is stock and I have a FordRacing aluminum driveshaft and b&m shifter if that at all matters.
thanks alot!

• Sponsors (?)

I also noticed that when it is adjusted closer to the floor, the clutch action seems more stretchy/less natural, it just kinda has a sticky feel to it. But if I adjust it up higher, it has a more fluid natural clutch feel. WTF, does this sound like a bad cable, quadrant or something? Im completely confused

After readjusting my cable, the car drives much better. But while at a stop, with the clutch all the way in, the car still slowly moves forward..what the heck would cause that and how do I fix it?????
thx

Do you have an after-market cable?? Some of these aren't the best quality. I have my cable adjusted, via the firewall adjuster, so that my clutch has about an inch free-play at the top. The clutch begins to engage about half-way up, which is the way I prefer it. Don't have any creep, which would seem to indicate that your clutch is not totally disengaged when you have it all the way depressed. Where, with the pedal, does your clutch begin to engage and the car just begin to move?? Check it in the driveway at idle and let the clutch out very slowly.

Right now it it catches very very high, with little free play at the top, but for some reason, adjusting it this way seemed to help out. The cable is a stock piece but it said on it 96-98 and I have a 99, so I don't know if that matters.
thx

Stock cables are the best. As long as you have free play at the top of the pedal, you should be OK and be totally disengaged when you depress the pedal. If you are still creeping forward when the pedal is fully depressed (and the clutch should be totally disengaged) it would mean you have some other problem. Does your clutch "chatter" a lot when you engage? I have experienced where the tranny was left to hang on the clutch (through the spiles) while trying to hit the pilot bearing. Believe it or not, this can "bend" the center part of the clutch and warp it. You may also have something binding with the clutch fork or TOB. Make sure your clutch fork is fully seated on the clutch pivot ball. I had this happen once on my 5.0 and a sharp blow on the clutch fork fully seated it.

Good luck.

My clutch does chatter quite a bit, I was told that was just the nature of the beast. And this does not always happen where I will be in 1st gear at a stop with the clutch all the way in and the car still moves forward. Would the input shaft, flywheel, or the actual tranny be a part of this problem. I only ask because I had a very competent place do the install on the clutch and they said everything was fine.
thx alot for the reply, great info.

I have not had any experience with the RAM clutches (their reputation is good) but, from my point of view and with street clutches, chatter is not acceptable. Again, check your clutch fork to make sure it's properly seated on the pivot. Otherwise, it's a possibility that the clutch has been warped during the install. That's tough to prove without a disassemble.

Is it possible that my tranny is the problem? Would that at all cause me to get stuck in gear at a stop? Because I have no problems shifting once moving or launching the car and their is no slipping. Could it just be something minor like the cable or "clutch fork" or just any one of the numerous parts other then the clutch itself, because the clutch is new and so was my other clutch when I experienced the same problem! thanks alot

New Exhaust

I have an 03 convert. and I am looking for the best exhaust to get. I would love any ideas anyone has...also looking into smoe new headers for it, but mainly looking for exhaust right now. any suggestions would be a big help

It sounds like your clutch is hanging, or better yet dragging. how long since the clutch was replaced? Adjustable quad or stock,if its adjustable take it to a tranny shop and have it adjusted, have them show you what to do. Otherwise all you have to do with stock is pull it up and push it down about 3 - 5 times, you should hear a ratcheting sound if its out of adjustment. Otherwise it sounds like someone did a bad clutch install or a really hard break in.

Hmmmm, it is adjustable and Im pretty sure it is set right. The place that installed it is supposedly the best in my area...DezRacing...and as far as breaking it in. I just broke it in with normal driving like any other clutch, although I called ram and they said no broke in period, but i waited awhile before dropping the clutch hard or anything like that.
But the weird thing is that I had this same problem with a new clutch as well, it was a centerforce at the time.