clutch squeak help!!!

saxman9801

Jan 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
Guys and Gals>
My 95 now has a weird squeak coming from the clutch when driving, it is just a continious squeak or squeal, it goes away if you press in on the clutch or pull up on the pedal, so to me it seems like the throwout bearing is the culprit, I am is still running the stock cable could this be causing my problem? Clutch is new with less than 5k miles on it so i really do not want to have to take it apart again, thanks for the help Dan.

• Sponsors (?)

donjohn said:
Throwout bearing, i hold mine down slightly when driving (BTW is anybody else's clutch REALLY hard to press down- my left leg is seriously buffer than my right b/c of this)
im gonna agree about the throwout bearing....but i wouldnt hold down the clutch slightly when driving....thats just gonna lead to a worn out clutch....and yes my clutch is much harder to push down than most clutches ive driven(mostly hondas) but nothing im not used to....and its not like i have to push as hard as i can....its just stiff.....

Anthony

HoofnIt said:
Did you put a new throw out bearing in when you changed the clutch?
Yes i changed the throwout bearing when i changed the clutch and i also changed the pilot bearing as well, i agree that it is the throw out bearing i just wanted to know if mis adjustment of the cable due to it being older and stretched could have caused it or be causing it or if i just got a ****ty throw out bearing. And if it was bad to have a slight amount of pressure on the bearing i know our cars are suppossed to have some pressure on the bearing. I really did not want to take the thing apart again thanks for the input
Dan

ponypowa2 said:
mine squeaks in the rain :/ BTW, My left leg gets a serious WORKOUT in heavy traffic :D
With the old clutch i had the workout on the left foot, the new one is much better, my mom's 96 is a little softer than mine but not too much, overall i was happy with the new clutch's performance until the squeak showed up yesterday. I still think it has something to do with my cable, if i pull up on the clutch pedal it get really loose and there is a crap load of free play but the squeak is gone.. go figure. Dan

The TOB is squeaking because it is touching the pressure plate fingers. This should not happen with a new clutch assembly. Your clutch cable is probably stretched, causing the TOB to slighty touch the PP fingers, which makes it turn when it shouldn't be turning. It should only turn when you press the pedal down.

My guess is you need a new clutch cable (i.e. slightly shorter).

When the clutch went bad the first time, did the pedal get extremely tough to press? If so, how many miles did you drive on it like so?

After 2-3k miles of driving with a bad clutch, the TOB started to squeak.
Scott

I have about 110k miles on the car, and it does seem like the clutch cable is just too stretched out, i have a new one on the way so hopefully it will take care of it for good. The old clutch never actually went out i just had a noisy as hell throw out bearing so i re did the whole thing at 107K the throwout bearing was dry as hell but clutch feel was never excedingly hard. Thanks for the help Dan