Clutch/Trans Noise????

slowstang4.6

Dec 18, 2006
I had posted before about some trans noise my new Bullitt is making. I have since been able to narrow doe n the noise even further, and now suspect it is somewhere within the clutch assy as opposed to internal trans. The sound is a whirring noise that will go away after 5-10 seconds. I am able to reproduce it if I

a) rev the car to 4k-5k above 40 mph
b)punch it in second or third and the revs climb to around 4k

I hear the noise when I let off, clutch out, in neutral. I cannot reproduce the noise with the car stationary or at any speed under 40mph, however the noise does seem more pronounced and longer lasting if I leave it in any gear as opposed to shifting to neutral.

What does this sound like? Pilot bearing? Throwout bearing? clutch/pressure plate assy? Normal sound? It is not very loud but definately there. Any input greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd have to hear it to say what it is, but you do know that these cars transmit a lot of noise from the clutch/pressure plate assy right? I mean, sit in the car with the windows up, stereo off and in neutral. Step on the clutch and you'll hear it get substantially quieter as the clutch and plate stop rotating. Also in some gears you may hear some gear noise at certain rpm's and maybe a vibration coming up through the stick.