Cobra Brake Upgrade

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering how much more effective the Cobra brake kit is? The swept area is the same correct? I understand with the larger diameter of the rotors you get more leverage but, are they really that much better or is this mainly a bling bling upgrade?

We've received a few phone calls and emails regarding our stance on this thread. A few issues regarding our brake kits...

Our base 13" front and 12" rear Cobra and Bullitt kits are 100% Ford content. We use OEM Ford parts to assemble our kits. The less expensively priced kits cannot make this claim. We use the finest Brembo rotors in our kits which, while others claim this virtue, upon purchasing their kits, we find cheaper off-shore rotors included with their kit(s) with Brembo stickers stuck to the rotors. We offer Goodridge stainless hoses as a modestly priced upgrade that are full DOT spec hoses with a lifetime warranty. This is verifiable with the documentation included with our hose kit(s). While others claim this fact, proof is not verifiable. We offer several rotor upgrades, once again done with Brembo rotor cores. Keep in mind that our kits were the first on the market to offer sub-$400.00 pricing while maintaining a high quality component content level. If it is a $ and cent issue with virtually no concern for quality, definitely shop around. You'll find that most folks have gone with our front and/or rear kits!!!

hotstang said:
You do not need these with the fronts. Just the rears

I'm afraid you are mistaken. To upgrade from a 99-04 GT to 13" Cobra or Bullitt calipers and rotors you need brackets to relocate the caliper. Although the Cobra caliper isn't shaped that much differently than the stock GT and the rotor diameter is less than 1" difference, it still won't clear with a stock bracket. I'm not even sure if a Cobra caliper will mount to a stock bracket.

The bracket is the black part around these red Bullitt calipers. Most people assume it is part of the caliper, but it is a separate part and some places do sell them without the brackets. Why? I have no idea.

bullitbrakekit.jpg

Indiefab said:
I'm afraid you are mistaken. To upgrade from a 99-04 GT to 13" Cobra or Bullitt calipers and rotors you need brackets to relocate the caliper. Although the Cobra caliper isn't shaped that much differently than the stock GT and the rotor diameter is less than 1" difference, it still won't clear with a stock bracket. I'm not even sure if a Cobra caliper will mount to a stock bracket.

The bracket is the black part around these red Bullitt calipers. Most people assume it is part of the caliper, but it is a separate part and some places do sell them without the brackets. Why? I have no idea.

bullitbrakekit.jpg
its part of the caliper.. like i said twice before.. the kit comes with everything you need, which is the one piece caliper with pad already installed, the rotors, and lines. There are no other pieces or brackets.

Quote: but it is a separate part and some places do sell them without the brackets.

The front caliper mounting bracket is a seperate part if you break things down to component level. We do indeed include the brackets assembled with the calipers and pads with our $399.99 kits.

Why do others not include them in their kits? Not sure, but you might want to ask them! :shrug:

mustangparts said:
Quote: but it is a separate part and some places do sell them without the brackets.

The front caliper mounting bracket is a seperate part if you break things down to component level. We do indeed include the brackets assembled with the calipers and pads with our $399.99 kits.

Why do others not include them in their kits? Not sure, but you might want to ask them! :shrug:

I've noticed a couple things about your kits compared to others, though.

1. Are your lines SS braided?? You make no mention of this on your site.

2. Your rotors are blank, yes they are brembo rotors, but drilled/slotted rotors are more expensive to produce and other companies are offering them with SS braided lines for the same price you have.

Not a flame, just wondering.

Follow-up: The images on our site and on all our on-line ads show the OEM Ford brake hoses. We offer Goodridge stainless hoses as an option. These hoses are full DOT spec and lifetime warranted which most of the cheaper brand of hoses included in some of the less expensive kits on the market are not certified. The fact is that the OEM Ford brake hoses are of far higher quality and offer better braking performance than most of the off-shore produced stainless hose kits.

A few words about rotors. Many of the kits on the web offer drilled/slotted rotors; this is true. The issue is that most of the drilled rotors on the market are produced on cheap cores that were not originally intended to be drilled and/or slotted and this leads to premature rotor wear or failure. We include Brembo rotors in our $399.99 kits and offer crossdrilled/milled Brembo rotors as an option. The Brembo name is synonymous with quality and performance.

We've found that most buyers prefer our contnet quality over other's shininess and flash.

mustangparts said:
We offer Goodridge stainless hoses as a modestly priced upgrade that are full DOT spec hoses with a lifetime warranty.
Your site says there's a discount on the $80 price when purchased with the brake kit--how much of a discount?

mustangparts said:
The Bullitt, Cobra and 10th Anniversary Cobra kits are direct bolt-ons on all 1994-2004 Mustang.

The Goodridge hoses are a $69.99 upgrade...
If you're open on weekends, I might just decide to zip on over. Website claims shipping will be >$45. If I just run on over I'll only have to pay $21 in VA taxes.