Cobra enemy (the corvette)

Anyone else see the specs on the new corvette? 10.9:1 compression with a larger bore to make it a 363 I think....chevy is running out of options for "The American Supercar" 400 hp is about all they are going to get outta that thing I believe.....they're gonna have to join the masses and switch to DOHC's or go forced induction to keep up to the crowd. What do you guys think? The interior is definetly improved though that's for sure....the "euroization of the corvette" is a shame to see. Too bad the 05 cobra is gonna snap that car in half.

• Sponsors (?)

posm6s said:
Thats the base Vett. The Z06(or whatever they are going to call it) will be bored and stroked to 427 and have 500HP.

Just letin you know.:)

Well, that base vette won't have much on the CURRENT Cobra (driver's race with a new cobra vs the 405hp Z06) let alone the coming Cobra. Also, one upcoming mustang WILL have 500+hp, whether it be the 06 Cobra, the Shelby Mustang, or the next Cobra R.

54life said:
I just don't see a 427 vette selling that much....anyone agree with me??? They are running out of options I guess. I'd personally turn down the z06 for a new cobra.

Get real dude. Obviously you are a vette/GM hater and love Ford, we get it. The new vette is a 6.0L, and they dont need DOHC to get it done. The C6 is lighter than a ZO6 and should have no problem laying waste to a stock 03 cobra. If you want to modify the cobra, that fine. The LS2 can be modified as well. Heads and cam and those will be seeing 450-475rwhp all day.

Who cares though ... I think the new bodied Mustang GT's (2005?) are a waste with only 300hp from a N/A engine (according to C&D), and most LS1 fbodies will probably be just as fast as Fords new Stang GT offering, but who cares. The Stang looks cool, but I would have thought they would use the 390hp cobra setup. Looks like they are running out ideas for the SOHC setup :shrug:

fiction:

-stock Z06 vs stock +03 Cobra is a drivers race
-C6 is lighter than Z06
-"base" LS2 is tapped at 400 :lol:

Lets add some FACTS:

-stock Z06 .5 faster than stock +03 Cobra (if you call that a drivers race, so beit)
-C6 will weigh in around 100 more lbs than current Z06
-"base" LS2 has the following over current LS1/LS6
20 more ci
same flowing heads as LS6
90mm t/b
cam profile somewhere between LS1 and LS6
new 6500 redline (same as LS6)

I own a Z06 and I'm definitely not ashamed to say I think the Z51 optioned C6 will kick the $hit of a bonestock +'02 Z06. For anyone who knows anything about the chevy motors, the 400/400 rating for the LS2 sounds incredibly underrated. I think those will prove to be closer to wheel numbers. Probably 380/380 rw numbers with a much broader tourque band than the current LS1/LS6 due to the extra 20ci.

Throw in the Z51 option and the T56 with ratios like the current Z06, and it's going to kick major arse. It gives up 100lbs, gains extra hp/tq (not just peak, but extra area under the curve), and with identical tranny gearing, it should stomp a mudhole in the Z06.

God help my pocketbook when the Z06 comes out. But it won't be a 7.0 liter. It will be a 6.3/6.4 liter with most likely a sub 3000lb curb weight. That car will run 125 mph traps from the showroom when its released.

But I also like mustangs. And although the current Cobra wasn't exactly what I had hoped for in the styling and weight department, the motor can't be argued with. If they make an 06 Cobra thats under 3500lbs, and houses a blown, forged 5.4 powerplant, I will have an extremely tough decision in '06. Either way, my current '02 Z06 is most likely gone.

But don't be ignorant and diss the base C6. The f-bod might be gone, but the vette is alive and well and continues to see substantial improvement. The C5 was an extremely hard act to follow and I'll be damned if Chevy didn't do it. :flag:

I believe the All American Sportscar just gets better and better every year. The C6 is going to be sick. Chevy is by no means running out of ideas on thier engines. I read an article a while back on how Chevy will be further enginerring pushrod engines rather switching to OHCs. They mentioned that Chevy is able to produce just as much power and smoothness as a OHC engine by using modern technology and engineering and applying it to a pushrod engine. If you look at the Chevys today it shows. The Z06 is faster than 98% of cars and it gets as good gas milage as an Accord. I think its great that they are keeping the pushrod alive. Chevy has no masses to join. If they made a 427 Vette that would be super sweet. That car, sorry to say, would blow away any mustang ford made and probably hang with a GT or the new Shelby Cobra. But I think big block power is more awesome than blower power, especially in a modern stock car. I think that if Chevy makes another Camaro, they can easily reclaim their spot in the American HP wars.

edit- I agree with the euroization of the vette being a shame. The reverse flip headlights were awesome and were a distinct part of what made the Vette the sleak car it is. Itll take a while for me to get used to the new front. The interior is just great however.

No, I'm not a chevy hater nor am i ignorant....I am just underinformed I guess. I didn't know that it would be lighter or that the engine would be closer to 400 rwhp. It just seems to me that chevy is going to run out of options soon like ford did. I think that the near future of chevy will be ohc's. You can't beat the efficiency of these motors. I dunno I guess that's why I started this thread.....to talk about it