Cobra general questions

aronious_p

Mar 21, 2004
I've never owned a Mustang before, but I was thinking about getting one, specifically the an 03 or an 04 Cobra and had a few general questions:

1) How is the overall quality of the Cobra, and is there alot of difference between the differnt models and years (recent) quality wise.
2) What is the factory warranty on the Cobra
3) How good is the convertible trim in the Cobra as far as leakage, working with no problems, opening and closing smoothly, etc?
4) How is the comfort especially on long trips, 2000-300 miles at a time?
5) I'm 27, single, just a couple fender benders on my record...how much can I expect to pay for insurance approx?

Thanks alot to all thsoe who reply,

Aaron

• Sponsors (?)

I can address a couple of your concerns. The build quality of our 96 Cobra is very good, noticeably better than our 93 Mustang. It has no interior or body rattles. The paint on our particular car is very nice and the fit and finish are good. Our 93 is a convertible and at 100,000 miles the top is still tight as a drum and leak free. Other later convertibles I've ridden in have been just as good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new 'vert from Ford. Comfortwise, we took the Cobra on a 1500 mile trip to Reno for Hot August Nights last year. It was great on the road. Smooth and comfortable.

Buy the car.

Over all quality is good...for an inexpensive sports car :nice:

Factory warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles. Now, once you start modding your Cobra this may not be the case. For example, if you up the boost and blow the motor don't expect Ford to pay for the new motor.

Two of my friends have convertibles, no problems. Get some sub frame connectors installed (like $150) and it will squeek and rattle less.

Long trips are fine...unless you get a loud exhaust put on it...then it can be annoying.

Insurance...all depends. I'm 28, married, have 3 cars on the policy, and neither of us have tickets or accidents on our records. I pay $92 a month. But location and credit history and many other factors play a role in this amount. I've heard others say they pay less than me and they have a bad record too.

Call your insurance company and ask them to give you a best guess. You don't even need to give them a vin number.

I have a 1999 cobra. I use geico. I have never had a wreck or ticket. I am 19 and my insurance with everything (road side, rental car all that good stuff) is 96.75 every month. This is for 2 cars on my policy (my 96 Z-28)

Good God!! I don't see how you can pull that off, but who knows. I take it you don't have full coverage, just liability. Sorry if I'm assuming wrong...just making an educated guess. On a 99 Camaro V6 I was paying like $150 with no wrecks or tickets....anyway, thanks for the input~