code 96- secondary fuel pump circuit - did JRickers checklist

Car will start and idle fine. When you start driving, it will intermittently stumble and stall. It does it with the engine up to temp. When it stalls, it starts right up.

Pulled codes and got 67 and 96 (secondary fuel pump circuit fault). I know what the 67 is( clutch switch).

I followed JRickers checklist for code 96 and did the following.

1. Changed fuel pump relay- no difference
2. Jumped out inertia switch - no difference
3. Swapped out TFI module just in case - no difference
4. Pulled vacuum hose off stock FPR while running- no gas came out
5. Jumped out fuel pump test circuit so that fuel pump would run constantly and went and wiggeled every part of the fuel pump wiring harness that I could get to without totally tearing the car apart. - Also wiggled the wiring around the EEC and the fusible links in the engine bay - no difference- pump never stumbled.

The only thing left is the EEC power relay but I would think that if the relay was bad, it would not run at all. Since it runs, I would not think that is the problem

Should I just change the EEC relay and see what happens??

Ideas????

• Sponsors (?)

The stalling itself can generate a FPM code. And if the cause for stalling is ignition-related or something else, it can be misleading.

Is there a particular time when it stalls (like while coasting to a stop or something like that)?

It is really weird. It will do it on either normal accel or decel while driving easy. It will also do it immediately as the revs climb if you floor it. Idles fine though.

It started happening when I got maybe 1/4 mile from the house. Pulled codes. Got a 95. Changed the FP relay, jumped the inertia, etc. Made no difference so I cleared computer and pulled codes again. It came up clean. Took it for a short spin. Did it again. Figured had to be TFI module as it went bad a few years ago and it was acting the same way with the exception of it would start hot.

It seemed to idle a bit better with the swapped TFI module. So I was hopeful and took it for a spin. I didnt get 3 blocks before it stumbled and nearly died. Turned back and it died 3-4 times before I got home. It always started right up though. Never even got out of third gear.

Pulled codes again and just got a 96. So I jumped the fuel pump and wiggled all the fuel pump wiring from the dirvers seat to the tank. Pump never stumbled.

Even though it seemed to idle better, the frequency and duration of the stumbling got much worse after swapping the TFI Module. (The module I swapped in was known good)

If you can catch it when it does it, if you pop the clutch and rev the motor, it wont die. It will settle down and be good for a minute or two. Then it will happen again.

I am really at a loss on this.

No code 96

I am having the same exact problem on my 90 with the exeption of the code 96 and the coil didn't help. As of yet I still haven't figured the problem but I am going to change the TFI and the pickup coil to see if that fixes mine.

keeping the thread alive.....

Well I was hoping anyone would chime in that experienced this before because it just doesn't make sense. I've checked fire,emissions,and fuel and everything checks out ok. Still going to try the tfi and pic because I don't know where to go with this.

Pleading for help..... I really miss the 5.0.......

69 Must-
Have checked, cleaned and tightend all the grounds?? Is the starter solenoid tight to the fender??
If grounds are good, I would try the TFI Module. It that doesnt work. See if you can borrow a known good distributor from someone. Swap it in and see if it makes a difference.